Looking for advise and recommendations on a nice record cleaner.

Hello,

I have a McIntosh MT10 and a good size collection of records. 

I noticed some of my records not sounding like they use to. 

I was told that my records were dirty and to look into a good record cleaner. 

I am now here for recommendations and where to look to solve my issue. 

128x128uavnola

After being frustrated with compromised cleaning solutions, I dove into a Kirmuss Ultrasonic  $1199.   It cleans 2 LP at a time and can do an amazing job of restoring records but is quite labor intensive. It often requires your attention for half an hour or more to clean 2 LPs.  At the end you are buffing with a microfiber cloth which created static for me at 7800 ft altitude.   The Kirmuss cleaning solution is expensive and you will go through faster than they imply if you do all the cleaning repetitions.  Yes, it can result in an extremely quiet surface probably unmatched by any other cleaner and I was able to clean some scratched records so well the stylus tracked deep enough that some  scratches were not heard.  However, you may also end up with a bit of residue on the stylus if anything in the process is not perfect.   

After burning out on this process my friend loaned me an Isonic CS6.1 Pro Ultraonic  $999.    It cleans up to 10 LP at a time so is popular with record store owners and those with large collections. I found it did a great job of improving my records that had been kept in good shape but needed a little work so I could easily enjoy again.  It has a very fast spin dry cycle that runs after the 10 minute cleaning for 10 LPs and leaves the LPs dry and static free. It has a cleaner fluid that works well with tap water (Kirmuss requires distilled water).  I do a rinse cycle when using it.  I even use the spin dry now after deep Kirmuss cleaning to dry and eliminate static. 

I found out that the Kirmus is a modified version of the isonic P4875-NH+MVR10-PRO. If you have a Kirmuss you can buy an adapter from Isonic MVR10-PRO-P  $335.  This will give you the option of either method of cleaning. The Kirmuss for complete restoration if needed or a 10 record solution for nice improvements to your collection with minimal hassle...storing in MoFi inner sleeves after cleaning.  Now I can enjoy each play with a quick carbon fiber brush clean. 

My not-so-brief Spin-clean routine for those that might need to explore the method or process in more detail. 

There exists pages of detailed vinyl record cleaning devices, methods, and chemicals because we are a passionate group of listeners. I’m on a low budget and never purchased or used any of those very impressive cleaning machines. I have a pretty good ear for detail, a usb microscope on my iMac, and don’t mind spending the time to do what I find is a thorough cleaning of my vinyl. I will get to the point. I use the latest version of the Spin-clean device and set up my cleaning area by making that area as pristine as possible. I follow the Spin-clean directions with a few variations. I pre clean the vinyl surface in various ways depending on what I can determine cannot be easily removed in the cleaning process. That would be mostly visible fingerprints, dust/dirt, any liquids such as bodily fluids from a sneeze, cough, or blowing. This, I do with simple rinse under the tap under my kitchen faucet. If it is minor, I use an old Discwasher-type brush gently in the direction the stylus would normally trace. Keep fingers off any part of the vinyl where the stylus will track! If smudges and fingerprints persist, I use two drops of Dawn dish detergent in a 3-4 oz. container and with my finger (plastic or vinyl disposable glove is good) gently move back-and-forth with the grain until it is visibly erased. I use distilled water from a spray bottle and wipe, following the direction of the stylus movement with a clean microfiber cloth (I have micro fiber cloths exclusively for cleaning vinyl only) then place my vinyl into the Spin-clean washer device. Following the directions the manufacturer describes I spin clean up to fifteen discs per batch and thoroughly clean the Spin-clean container between batch/sessions. I don’t spare the distilled water. Immediately dry each vinyl record with care after I’m sure there is no Spin-clean residue left. That often takes a healthy spray of distilled water sprayed liberally across the vinyl over the sink. After a good wipe (place the vinyl on a flat horizontal surface layered with a couple of microfiber layers) with the microfiber cloth I dry on an upright drying rack checking again, a close visible inspection. If I don’t like what I see. I start over! Once dry, I place the vinyl into a new sleeve/jacket. You will experience better quality music, and unfortunately you may expose some surface noise as well. A clean vinyl record should have a nice shiny surface if you are successful. I do clean new vinyl prior to playing it. I hope this is brief, but clear enough to understand. 

Hello uavnola!

I can feel and understand your worry about your vinyls collection wellbeing and the clean surface of your beloved ones, as only the clean record can guarantee the high quality sound and pleasure while listening to it.

I live near Glasgow, and I’m afraid the vinyl washing services are not available anymore around here. This is the reason I own my record cleaner and since 2020 I’m happily use it in my home. And I can fully recommend it. This is the Vinyl Record cleaning machine - The Vinyl Source Record Cleaner ("Vinyl Maid") -

https://www.thevinylsource.co.uk/product-page/vinyl-record-cleaner-lp-washer-cleaning-machine-6-records-per-batch-uk-made

, which I can use for less than a pound per record. Luckily, I can also clean more than one record at a time (up to 5) and control the whole process easily. Another good point is its price, which is a way under 500 pounds. Just have a look on the website mentioned above. Cheers! jm-audiophile