Looking for a true upgrade in sound quality

I currently stream Qobuz and Tidal through my Lumin T2. I have had this about 4 years. I have AT&T fiber optic internet to the house the ethernet cable direct to the Lumin. About 30' of cable from the router to the device. I was thinking of using the Lumin only as a streamer and adding a conceivably better DAC. Is this a legit way to go about a more resolving sound. To my ears there is a slight veil over everything and maybe a little etched overall, bass response is great. I was also hoping for a recommendation for the DAC if this is a good option. $6,000 budget new or used is fine. I have had very good luck with used equipment over the years. Thanks, Allen.

backwash

When I was experiencing some “etched sound” when doing a long run of Ethernet direct to my streamer I tried Small Green Computers Fiber Media Converter (FMC) bundle found here. I also inquired the Audiogon community about Network Acoustics Eno Streaming System which can be found here. Due to my positive experience with the FMC bundle, I went further with an OpticalModule Deluxe with linear power supply (this is FMC) to a OpticalRendu with linear power supply (this is a streamer) which is offered by Small Green Computer. Essentially it looks like this: 

TRENDnet Switch (above) > Pangea Premier Ethernet > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe w/ LPS & Finisar SFP 1324P2BTL > FS LC UPC to LC UPC OM1 (62.5/125) Multimode Fiber Optical Cable (15’) > Sonore opticalRendu & Finisar 1324 w/ Sonore LPS > Supra Excalibur USB 1 meter > TEAC NT-505 

If I could do it over again, I’d love to try the Eno out of simplicity - I also like how it’s passive and doesn’t need an LPS. 

I of course say all of the above, but who knows if your etched sound would be addressed by any of the suggestions provided. Too many variables within each of our systems. Food for thought nonetheless. 

Remember that 'fiber' is only local. Actual path to the streaming cloud goes via multiple paths, electric, fiber, satellite, hundreds of switches and routers. Data comes out of order and reassembled locally. There is no actual "stream" between your unit and Tidal cloud. In fact, it is not even Tidal, datacenter is probably a stack of cheap boxes rented from a Google farm.

Veiled and etched seem to be mutually exclusive to me.  Sounds like you want something more resolving but smooth.  I have a Hermes DDC running into a Pontus II 12th Ann. that I like very much.  It’s definitely smooth and pretty resolving.  I’ve not heard many other DACs and none above this price point, which is about half what your budget is.  You might like the Terminator.