Looking for a ‘’No braine’r Integrated amplifier under 7500 or so

hello all!

I’m looking for ideas on a ‘slam dunk’ flexible high value solidly performing INTEGRATED amp for an office system, but one that for a while can be my ‘go to’ or primary unit and is a bit above entry level.

preference is to buy new, but preowned in the right scenario works for me as well.

Pesently I’m starting all over in amassing gear and felt to initiate the project by wading into the water slowly.

I have on hannd remnants of my former   efforts in a then very good line stage preamp and DAC, though the DA age is showing and well behind current popular trends  and support for new formats.

also on hand are some ‘so so’ amps, and several pairs of speakers and I just added a Blue Sound Noede 2I.

ultimately I see nearly everything being replaced but felt starting with a very nice Integrated seems as good a starting point as any.

topology is as such, not too too imoportant. decent power however is key as speakers being paired here are as yet unknown. likelyhood here is a pair of monitors and a sub.

the music playback will likely be streaming from providers and NAS files.

Aesthewtix Mimas has peaked my interest currently. and having owned bAT their INT is interesting too. apart from these two I’m wide open to suggestions on current one box amp solutions..

glass or sand power here makes little difference apart from thereafter mating speakers to the INT power constraints..

your thoughts, and expieriences here are vastly appreciated. THX
blindjim

Showing 4 responses by mapman

Hey if you have ls 50 metas and a sub, you are good to go for most normal and safe SPLs at least up to 90db or so.

I use the 500w/ch BEl Canto monoblocks with mine, but I do not feel need to go super loud, seldom above 90db, and the Bel Cantos never come anywhere close to breaking a sweat, which is a good thing. ls50s are great but still small and only will go so far loud and clear. But, I do not use an active crossover. ls50s are working full range even with the sub. Add that and let the sub do more work and that (offloading some bass off the ls50s) should take things a good bit even further off any decent number of watts.

With ls50s, you do always need an amp with a lot of juice/current delivery no matter what wattage to drive them to their max in regard to tonal balance, accuracy, detail and all the other usual good things that go along with those.
I also do like the Linear Tube Audio integrated amps on the tube side but your speaker choices will be more limited there.

Personally, I am a speakers first kind of guy whenever possible. Get the speakers that will serve you well in your room. Consider dispersion patterns among other common factors used in picking speakers.

Though starting with a quality amp that offers good value and can drive anything is also a valid way to go. I don’t necessarily want to have to change my amp everytime I change speakers.

A lot has to do with expectations.....what sounds good to you. Do you like only one flavor of sound best or many? Or not even sure? Its a very personal thing.

Regardless, modern high quality integrated amps take away a lot of the guesswork because everything is integrated for you to deliver a particular flavor of sound well. Lot’s of recent technical innovations that make integrateds a more attractive choice now than ever before.

Myself, I find many flavors I like very much each with +s and -s so that heavily influences how I think about these things. There is no "ultimate sound" that fits the bill for all.
Would add that many options for $7500. How much it actually costs will mostly depend on features and power requirements. If no brainer means going as loud and clear as you want with any speaker, for me that means 200w/ch or more. If you can live with spls that are not damaging to the ears (under 90db) then good sound with most any speaker can be had for much less.

Of course with high end audio, the sky is the limit in regards to how much it can cost but at some point you are paying mainly for build quality and/or aesthetics and the sonic benefits become more marginal and debatable as well unless you have heard the product before and had a chance to compare to others.

Then there are good quality high power tube amps which tend to be very expensive and lots of tubes to deal with and maintain .... Also inefficient and produce lots of heat.

These days making life simple and going integrated is a very good choice. I am heading more in that direction over time and have done a good bit of product research.

Features matter here as well as power and sound quality for a slam dunk.
Given that clearly look at NAD M33 or Anthem STR.

Another very good less expensive option is Bel Canto c5i or c7r if tuner matters. 60 w/ch there will get you to high safe listening spls with most speakers but not the ultimate spls. I have c5i in my family room system and can vouch for that. Has everything save MC phono and tuner and always sounds great.
There are other Bel Canto options worth a look at but can get pricey.

I would strongly consider McIntosh as well. Get the one that meets your needs best. I particularly like the two hybrid models. As I do the hybrid offerings from Rogue.

if smaller speakers are ok look at Vanatoo active speakers. These cost a pittance, sound great, are very adjustable and have a lot of modern technology baked in to enable that. Fabulous product. Add a sub and you are on the big leagues for sound and good to go. The latest similar active speakers from KEF another excellent option.

I own and can also vouch for Vanatoo and kef ls50s though my KEFs are passive version. Currently run the latest meta version but own originals also.