Looking for a new Subwoofer

I am looking to replace my Definitive Technology Supercube 6000 with a new subwoofer to augment my Fyne F-702 speakers. My listening room is about 13 x 22 ft with 8’ ceilings and an 8’ opening to the dining room to the left of the listening area. I try to avoid major products made in mainland China—in spite of their at times very good quality, and I have narrowed the brands down to Paradigm, Vandersteen, and JL Audio, specifically, a single Paradigm XR11 or dual Defiance X12s, the Vandersteen Sub Three with “required” crossover, and the JL Audio Fathom f110v2.  My budget is about $4K, with the XR11 and Fathom right at that price, the dual X12s at about $3K, and the Vandersteen with required crossover at about $5300 (including two crossovers, as they are sold in pairs).  I may be able to audition the Paradigms and the Vandersteen; a friend has told me the room correction software with the JL Audio sub is way behind that of the Paradigms.  In light of the excellent advice I have received in this forum, I wonder if folks out there have had an experience with these subwoofers and what they might recommend.  Many thanks.

mike4597

Four cabinet Bass Array systems go low and provide an unparalleled room lock while using less power and EQ with minimal location restrictions.

Most if not all -3dB subwoofers require standing wave bass mode room (crawl test) positions to providing them the least restrictive path within the room allowing full advantage of their delicate extra low frequency presentation. These are typically side wall locations.

Another point to consider. Using one costlier processor equipped subwoofer as a master to control less expensive basic models or brands.

Any brand -6dB unit is a sub-bass speaker. Like the -3dB subwoofer they will augment your main speakers mid 30Hz region at the expense of the subwoofers delicate sub sonic presentation present on most recordings. 

Because of the -6dB sub-bass speakers dramatic low frequency roll off they simply do not excite a rooms standing wave bass modes. This gives them the convenient ability to be located most anywhere in the room with just a volume adjustment.

All the best with you search. 

As @soix (and others) have mentioned - you'll likely get more impact/improvement in your sound with a matching pair of subs. Enjoy the hunt, there is so much good gear out there.

@mike4597 You didn't mention if you liked your Definitive Technology sub. If so, it would make sense to look at the GoldenEar SuperSub XXL ($2750) or two of the SuperSub X's ($1750 EA).

I'm also in the market for a new sub. I've only owned Velodyne subs for the last 30 years; so, I understand the curiosity and desire to try something new. Best of luck in your search.

I never understood this Rhythmik infatuation I read about from time to time here. I heard one once, and it was just ok. Their prices are good, but I don’t trust the hype. Apologies to any owners, but I don’t get it.