Looking for a great front ported bookshelp speaker recommendation

Hi everyone,

After about a 15 year hiatus from hifi, I'm looking to get back into it. I'm looking for a front ported bookshelf speaker. The reason is that it's going to go inside a cabinet and right against a back wall. My budget is up to $5,000 but the less, the better:) Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

TIA

blackiridium

@blackiridium 

There are speakers that are OK to be in a cabinet, that's how they were designed. I think some Devore and Revival models but I would check with the manufacturer. 

I have a pair of Jean Marie Reynaud (JMR) Trente bookshelves for my office set up and they are awesome front ported speakers, so smooth and non fatiguing and very musical. They are a French company that has been around a long time.

The Trente's I have are no longer in production, the current model which is similar is called the Lucia, I think they are under $2k, but great speakers and very well made.

Perlisten great speaker and big monitors  

Anthony at Perrotta consultants  is very fair compared with speakers of much high cost .

Blackididium

there are a ton of loudspeakers that will work

the real questions how big is your room?

type of amplifier?

type of sound you like detailed/clean or warm and musical?

how loud do you play?

Dave andTroy

audio intellect NJ

atc,dali kef alta audio and jern dealers

Real Bookshelf Speakers, I encourage you to get a pair of Acoustic Research AR-2ax’s.

3 way: tweeter, mid, 10" woofer 11.5" deep x 13-3/4" x 24", no ports, level controls for tweeter and mid.

I got a pair for my garage/shop system, restored them, so darn good I put them in my office, and restored a 2nd pair for my garage/shop system.

parts and knowledge aplenty, find local to avoid shipping, find restored, restore yourself,

I used UPS pack and ship to get my second pair from a ’local pickup only’ seller.

AR-2ax Rehab

I tried a few modern speakers in my office with 6-1/2" woofers, added a single sub, just enough to keep them from sounding small, but the 3 way with a 10" woofer is far better, no sub needed. Having level controls makes sense anywhere, it certainly helps with speakers in cabinets, particularly for me with one speaker nearer a side wall.