Looking for a DAC under 2k

I'm using a Small Green Computer Optical Rendu to bring usb to a DAC.
Looking for a new DAC around 2k new or used.

Recently, I had a Border Patrol Se-i which sounded beautiful with a great soundstage and a relaxed sound. Unfortunately, dynamics and bass definition were weak.

Next up, I tried the ifi Pro iDSD. Detailed and clean, but lots and lots of settings to play with. Became noisy after a couple hours and eventually stopped putting out sound and went silent. Can't deal with that kind of poor quality, but really would have prefer a little warmer sound.

I borrowed my Chord Qutest from my headphone system. Very good with my tube headphone system, and not bad on the speaker system, but would like something a bit more analog sounding, like a Border Patrol with dynamic punch and clearly defined, not muddy bass.

TIA, for suggestions.

traudio

Showing 2 responses by deep_333

Musician Pegasus R2R

OR

Denafrips Pontus R2R

These 2 DACs are many many notches above all the other crap out there that is priced the same.

P.S. if these 2 Chinese DACs are crap, every other Euro/American DAC out there at this pricepoint is absolute crap. Good luck patriot, LOL
@jjss49

I have seen that video before and went with it anyways based on many positive experiences on head-fi.org. I have the Pegasus in my secondary bedroom setup now and couldn’t have asked for something more perfect at a steal of a price.

This is literally the equivalent of a 10k+ DAC from a couple of names i won’t name yet (you know who!)...Dacs like these get designed/made in China, makes it to North American/European shores, gets a Western brand name and the price tag goes to 20k (2000% markup from a lazy no talent vulture). The audio "patriot" will choose to pay that lazy zero talent vulture a fine sum of 20k, i suppose. But, I guess i’m just not that patriotic!!