Little two-way boxes on a stand....

Yes, I have had some of them, SOTA ones...and compared to better Magnepans, Martin-Logans and even old Thiels and others...in the end result they sounded like little two way boxes on a stand.  Is this  "The King Has No Clothes" ....?  
whatjd
I’m starting to sound like a broken record but I listened to the persona b weekend before last and now I’m thinking of replacing my beethovens with them. 
Something to consider with small 2 ways on stands. 
-Not all two way monitors are the same. Some are amazing, many are just OK, and some are pretty bad.
-Without bass reinforcement from a PAIR of subwoofers they are not going to surpass the sound of good floorstanders. 

Disclaimer: I design and build state of the art monitors with powered subwoofers for red carpet clients.
If your only tool is a hammer, everything is a nail, right? 

I've tried probably a half dozen speakers, including some small monitors and larger speakers up to Klipsch Heresy in my small computer room and none of it sounded great. 

I picked up some Harbeth P3ESRs and that's when the magic happened.  I have a small sub in there and it's the perfect setup for that room. 

Would they be as good in my main system?  Even though it has better components, probably not, the room is just too big.  I haven't tried it yet, but it would be a fun experiment.