Linn LP-12 still competitive with the very best?

Hi folks, I wonder if the Linn LP-12 is still competitive with the best offerings from Avid, VPI, TW Acoustics, Teres, Galibier and Transrotor. If that is the case, then it's cheaper to go for a LP-12. What are the weak points of the LP-12? Which tt is better: the Thorens TD124 or Linn LP-12?

Chris
dazzdax
Dazzdax, the logic of your statement is (as your jokes)
an enigma to me.If I understand your statement correctly
then your claim is:'the many upgrades of Linn intendend the same sound'.
The logic presupposes,if you mean 'the same' in logical
sense, that we can't make eny sense from 'upgrades'.
I must refer once more to Raul: 'If the design is sound
then why so many upgrades?'
I made some effort to elaborate on this 'proposition'
but,obviously,without eny result.
Cheers
I suspect the answer to the poster's question simply depends on ones point of view more than anything else.
First of all, I am certainly not an audiophile and I just bought my first Linn LP12 this evening off of e-bay. I looked at (listened to) Oracle, Rega, VPI and Thorens TTs but I chose to buy a 69,XXX serial number Linn because I liked the sound of a friend's unit when hooked-up to my amp and speakers. No, he wouldn't let me touch it or take it home. I had to take my gear to my friend's place. Anyway, for my 2 cents, it was not how modern the technology was but how I felt emotionally from what I heard. BTW my amp is only a Sugden A48 Mk III and my speakers are Spica TC50s. Some if not most would say hardly audiophile grade. Once the unit arrives, I plan on upgrading the power supply, bearing, Cirkus upgrade, new springs, the keel upgrade, a polycarbonate sound base, and if luck prevails install an Ekos SE tonearm. At roughly that point, it will be a little better than my friend's unit (he has not installed the keel yet but is planning to do so and has the Ekos 2 Tonearm). Incidentally, my old TT was a Dual 1225 with a Shure M75ED Type 2 cartridge so all of the forementioned units I tried were an improvment to say the least. The Linn was just more pleasing to me. I only hope it sounds as good in my house as my friends did in his house!
Aguadiem, See Jazzdoc's post way above. If you are really planning on spending all that money to upgrade your Linn, you might want to consider another table entirely, like a Galibier et al. Otherwise, your system is very nice; go for it.
Drubin, The reason that your Linn sounds pretty good is that you have left is alone. Unlike the rest of us with Linn horror stories, the original unit is a pretty nice musical player. Upgrade it and it goes down hill from their. Trust me... I know.