Linn Kilmax DS as a Pre-amp

Hi. I have an Airtight ATM tube amp arriving in a few weeks (paid $4800 USD with a extra set of $2k tubes) and am wondering re sources. I currently have 2 options in mind being either a Linn Klimax DS/0 Renew (which I can get in NZ for arounf $4300 USD) and/or a Raysonic CD 228 that is about 6 months old for $1700 USD. I have three sets of speakers that I will 'play with' re match being Harbeth HL5+, B&W PM1s and Monitor Audio PL300s.

I play mostly from Spotify and some iTunes though I do have a lot of CDs that I love and have not played in years.

What are your recommendations re the 'fit' of the two sources that I am considering? Also what are the downsides of the DS/0 Renew (which is an old model now though 'renewed' and under warranty) and the Raysonic CD228? What else should I be considering re system 'fit'?

My other system is mainly for TV and is a Perreaux E250i with a top of the line Oppo.

Thanks in advance. Cheers, Stu from NZ
colville12
Remember too that Spotify is a very poor sound quality source, though it's lots of fun to use...
Right, Spotify is a poor source compared to uncompressed. It may not be necessary to spend big money on a streamer that is being fed a low-money source.
Thanks for the feedback. What source would people recommend for the Klimax? I have a lot of CDs and also albums on iTunes. Should I use a NAS and if so any recommendations? Also how can one get the best quality out of iTunes (to the Klimax) as most of my albums are 'in there'?

I think (based on the above) that I will not buy the CD228.
I'm going to strongly encourage you again to go to the Linn forums. There is an entire sub-forum on the DS streamers. They will tell you everything you could possibly want to know - and much more than just about anyone on this forum.