Limiting a full range driver

My speakers, Reference 3A NEFES, have 2 full range 8" drivers. My question; is it better to limit the frequencies to 100 Hz and higher. My thinking is that the lower, sub 100 Hz signals interfere with the midrange too much with their larger cone movements. Or, is there no benefit to cutting out these frequencies?

koestner

Showing 3 responses by deep_333

Get a pair of rythmik FM8 8inch dual driver subs and limit your full range speaker to 250 hz. Your full range driver will stop crying and thank you from the bottom of its heart.

I think 250 Hz is a little too high to cross a main speaker at. Around 100 Hz is usually the upper

You didn’t know?? The Rythmik FM8 is no ordinary sub. It is a special sub designed to wipe the tears/alleviate the struggles of his full range driver.

I am considering a miniDSP SHD Studio, all digital with no converting to analog, and then sending out to 2 DACs (OKTO DAC 8 to main speakers / Schiit Modius to my 2 15" passive subs). Amplifiers are Benchmark AHB2 for mains and a Crown Class D (750 WPC) to the subs. All on AES/EBU and balanced.

Minidsp should do the trick. Their QC is a lil poor. Check if everything is working and get a replacement unit otherwise. If you have pre-existing 15 inch subs for intended use, you may be restricted to crossover no higher than 100ish hz. The specific rythmik sub I was talking about earlier can also serve as a mid bass unit and get down to 20 hz.

Depending on your room and freedom of placement, you could try your large subs at the 1/4, 1/4 and 1/4, 3/4 widthwise, lengthwise locations. With adjustable phase, you should be able to get rid of a lot of problematic room modes and hopefully still not localize anything. If you have 2 subs or more, a read of the Harman paper outlining the virtual sub placement principle could come in handy (as you play with placement).