Lightning quick DYNAMIC amp in the under $1000 range

Hi guys, slowly upgrading my system on a bang for the buck budget. Anyone know of a musical, dynamic amp for under a grand? I would prefer new, but if anyone knows of a good deal on the used market, that could work, as well.
bstatmeister

Showing 13 responses by tomic601

run it in enjoy !!!!! get a solid solid grip on sonics of your new baseline....then contemplate the next move...IF any...
read your model 2 manual on the recommendation to use identical transfer function amplifiers IF you vertically bi-amp
otherwise you can kiss time and phase goodbye.....
for just a bit more scratch $ and not for big bad poweramps, but the LiL Kimber PK-10 w Wattgate components is lovely sounding....can be found used under $130 ish....

I use one on Lampizator DAC
 @mrdecibel Sorry if that seemed defensive, I riffed off your suggested 3 by Referencing a system built around them.... but omg yes, what a boring world IF we had was one brand of speaker....

i respect your experience and contributions here :-) and I learn stuff from you re the all class A DH-220

i built one of those  kits about every month to help put me they college.....maybe all that solder got to me

or the beer...

fanboy who owns Klipsch, Apogee, Dynaco, ADS, Thiel, Quad..and ..and....and....

But sure, I do appreciate Vandersteen

I know a guy with an absolutely killer system all sourced used..

SOTA Sapphire
Sumiko arm
Ortofon Black
ARC SP-17
Threshold 200
Vandy 3a SIG

but so correct, reading and writing about it, aint listening...

re your question about Odyssey- power supply, cap, resistor changes as you move up the line. My brother in law had 2c w Kahtargo in his big room glorious but 2 c overpowered his smaller den, so he moved to 1ci with the same amp...very sweet.

Tomcarr yes! The acoustic coupler needs to connect to the back wall, just like the 3 series....
big fun !
 @mofojo yep...mentioned that many days ago....great amps w Vandersteen 2’s..and lots of other musical speakers...

and with a factory upgrade path in the future as funds allow...

now back to the near endless class D vs all comers, I can read specs debate....

bstat..why not buy both and flip the loser, then you will know and can INFORM us.....
the world would be a better place IF more of us audiophile s were at least open to being passive ( pre ) agressive !

the Music Reference units, while not $50 are also affordable and good. Open listening to differences, vs endless argument, will sharpen our appreciation for the music.

Finally, I can strongly recommend the Book on Schitt, in particular the chapter written by Mike...ha

I would also caution don’t get sucked into the measure vs listen debate....

unless of course you can mainline music in past those Godgiven gizmos on the side of your head...
 @mrdecibel A Van Morrison quote comes to mind...

No guru, no method, no teacher....

hopefull LL I am just a passionate student of kaizen

i like your idea and thanks for the refresh on mental block I had on the amp

i strongly agree with the biwire approach, if OP needs to borrow a set of cables, I have a shotgun set of AQ type six with about ten K frequent flier miles as loaners...easy to have an open mind when investment in listening is a flat rate USPS $13 to get them to the next intrepid listener 

love your idea on vertical biamp, especially w identical transfer function amp

bstat....  as you are aware, I have some experience with setting up and helping to get the most from Model 2 in a large variety of rooms w varied systems and SPL requirements..

Vandersteen design for relatively easy load but you do need an amp that can control the acoustic coupler, which as some @#$& think is NOT a passive radiator.

The best SS amp new in your price range I have heard do that is the Odyssey... Klaus builds serious gear that punches FAR above weight and price and can be upgraded later more than two levels.

JOB is a serious contender as well, Swiss quality and punch

IF you were serious about lightspeed fast, consider a Spectral..the LiL 80 W is diminutive BUT can really kick and sound sweet w correct preamp, and correct cables, need be RF tight Every now and then those can be found for $1k

a used Electrocompiet is a mule kicker w finesse and very finely detailed sound..

there is a screaming deal on a Mk RM-200 right now, freaking awesome amp w 2’s

I really like the LiL A/B amp that Mr Decibel loves...the name and model escapes me but they are like $600, less on blowout.