Lightning quick DYNAMIC amp in the under $1000 range

Hi guys, slowly upgrading my system on a bang for the buck budget. Anyone know of a musical, dynamic amp for under a grand? I would prefer new, but if anyone knows of a good deal on the used market, that could work, as well.
bstatmeister

Showing 21 responses by bstatmeister

The only one I can think of off the bat that might be good to try is the Schiit Vidar for $700.

Right now I am using a behringer EP 2500, which is a pro amp, so wondering if I could add more musicality to my system with a "Hi-fi" amp
What do you think about this one?
http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/A1/A1EN.htm

Looks like to get the benefit you might need to buy their ACSS preamp (based on Krell connectors I think)

I have one of their DACs which is fantastic, so would think about taking a chance on their 2-channel amps. Their monoblocks out of my range at $3500 or so for the pair, but wow those look like powerful class A beauties...
" $800 gets you a monoblock pair of Outlaw Model 2200 amps. "

I will have to check those out...Monoblocks would be fantastic - but was thinking that might be out of my reach budget wise.

Rest of my system is Vandersteen 2C mains, Pre is an Onkyo TH 805 SR (HT receiver with preout over to the Behringer.)

Source I have a Technics SL-1200 MK2 with Nagaoka MP-150 which I love. I do use digital quite a bit with an Oppo BDP-93 with coax out to an Audio-GD Ladder DAC (R2R-11) which is also fantastic.

I also have a Chromecast audio for streaming Pandora and amazon prime going into the DAC via toslink.

I already know what I am going to get for the Pre - since I think that is my weakest link. I already made up my mind that I will buy a Schiit Saga tube pre-amp (which I will buy in April) so looking at an amp after that.

I love to listen loud, but I don't get the chance to do that very often do to my family always being around, so there will be mostly moderate volume levels, but I do want it to kick my ass when I finally get the house to myself.

My musical tastes are all over the map, but I love Mike Oldfield most (prog rock, I guess) and I am into some of the 80's stuff (Phil Collins Midnight Oil, INXS) I also love Rage against the Machine, Weezer, Cat Stevens, Alan Parsons and the Grateful Dead, just to name a few.

I've heard that tube amps while sounding extremely warm and musical, might not quote have the omph chest thumping dynamics that a good solid state has. I've heard if you want to get some tube sound into the system best to do it at the pre-amp level, so you can get all the benefits of good solid-state along with some of the tube goodness (Paul Mcgowen reference here).
Hi guys, thanks for all the recommendations....Looks I have a lot of research to do! Seems the running favorite right now is to monoblock the NuForce STA 200 Power Amplifier - will definitely take a closer look at that.

BTW...I already am bi-wiring per Vandersteen recommendations, So it seems I am doing ok there. (using the bi-wire canare wire from blue-jeans) don't think it's a world beater, but seems to be doing alright. Wouldn't mind upgrading to 10 gauge at some point to see if can improve the bass.

A couple questions about amps in general. Is there a specification to look at that could tell you how quick or Dynamic the amp would be to another? What are the main things that would make an amp more musical than another?

Is having a toroidal transformer one such thing to look for? Does not having a toroid mean it’s not necessarily as good as one that does?
I think slew rate was the 'spec' I'm looking for for a fast,dynamic amp? Do manufactures publish this? I wonder how My Behringer ep2500 compares with the NuForce STA-200 in terms of slew rate? a quick google search did not give me much
So what determines good dynamics? Is there any spec or part or mfg process that can reliably tell us this? Or you just have to listen?

So the STA-200 vs. Schiit Vidar is an interesting comparison. What would be the pros and cons of each be? The Vidar seems like it could have the edge with more power and overhead by being able to deliver twice the power when you go down to 4 ohm. Does the the STA-200 do this? There is no 4 ohm measurement that I saw on the AA website. Anyone out there that have tried both? What did you prefer?
Good suggestion! On one hand I wouldn't say I hate my behringer pro-amp. The thing is quite a beast (does 450watts/channel into 8 ohms, 750WPC at 4 ohm) Also, weighs close to 40 lb with a huge toroid transformer. But those are built for cranking full blast for hours at a time in pro-audio use scenario. Not sure if I'm missing something by not having an amp meant for serious 2-channel listening. Guess I need to do what tomic says and just buy a couple and see if I can notice a difference. Shoot...always comes down to that doesn't it.
Thanks all for the suggestions. Going to look closer at a used Odyssey stratos, as well. How do they upgrade them? 
Thanks Mr Decibel. That’s just it, I don’t know if I’m missing anything with my amp, other than it is one Fugly box. But I have it tucked away where it won’t offend anyone. All I care about is SQ any way. I did the fan mod, so the thing is quiet as a mouse to boot. Just not sure how it compares to an "audiophile amp" since I’ve never owned one. Not sure if I’m missing anything and I suppose I won’t know until I try no matter how many forum posts I do.

Regarding a powered sub, Yes, I do plan on getting one soon (sometime over the next year) Next month, I am getting a new preamp. Last month I got a new turntable cart, so, I am working my way there....

I do like the idea of getting the latest Vandy 3A Signature. Would have to get used and I think those are sometimes available in the $1500-$2000 range, which is quite a deal considering this is a 5K speaker. (although, I would still be left wanting since my real dream speaker is the Treo CT, which will be out of reach for the considerable future). Might be able to swing the 3’s though, good call.

MOAR Vandy is always good.
May need to add the Schiit Aegir to the list now that it’s available. It’s $100 more than the Vidar, but supposed to sound better overall as long as you don’t listen at high levels with inefficient speakers. The Vandy 2Cs are 88db efficient and I do like to listen loud once in a while, so if I wanted to go this direction, I may have to monoblock them, however if I do this I would have to get a better preamp that is balanced (since that is the only way to monoblock them). So, likely won’t go this direction...taking off the list...LOL
I bet that Job 225 is fantastic since the website is so bad. Normally there is an inverse correlation between how bad the website is to the performance of the product. 
Thanks @mrdecibel Definitely willing to take suggestions. If you think I can get more out of the ol' behringer I'm all ears.

Cord wouldn't need to be too long. Maybe 4-5 feet.
George, excellent idea. Hadn't even considered it. Gonna look into the different biamp options. Thanks for the tip, too Tomic!
It's still in my cart on Amazon. Haven't pushed the button yet.

Question: would the power cord still make a difference even when all my gear is plugged into a line conditioner? Would the line conditioner need a power cord upgrade, too? What about my preamp? Is the amp the best place to put it if just buying one?
I do listen everyday, but I always turn it off after the listening session. Would you do this just to break in the cable or do you always leave everything on all the time? Seems like it would drastically decrease the life of your equipment no?
Just got in my Waudio 10AWG power cable. First impresssion: Wow! great build quality and a nice heft to it for only $60. I have not plugged it in to my amp yet, but I hope I notice some subtle changes. Although not sure my system is resolving enough...

I feel I may be going down a long road of tweaks here :) What is the next item I should get? Hospital grade outlet?
Thanks Mr. D, I will. Any recommendations for next tweak? Hospital grade outlet, or something else that might make a bigger difference?
Thanks guys, so not just switched on for 24/7, I actually need a music signal going through the amp the whole time? if so, can I do it with the gain turned all the way down on the amp and preamp? or does there need to be some audible output on the speaker end? 
You know what, I've only put about 5-6 hours on the Waudio PC, but I do believe I hear an improvement in the bass - just seems a bit more meaty - long ways from total burn in, however. I will report back in a few weeks (as I do't think I can get away with constant playback -wife/kids great room gets used a LOT)