Let's Talk DAC's

My current DAC, the Chord Chordette Qute HD is getting on with age and I am looking for a new one with superior performance. So far, I have narrowed down my search to five DACs. At the low end is the Denafrips Ares II and the Eversolo DAC Z8. Mid range the RME ADI-2 and at the top end the Chord Qutest and the Denafrips Pontus II.

This is for an all-digital setup in a 12x12 dedicated room. I have a much larger room with a much "bigger" set up, but for this room it is a simple PrimaLuna Prologue Classic integrated, Audiolab 6000 CD transport, ProAc Tablette 10’s, and a REL T/5i Subwoofer. I plan to add a streamer as well, but that is for another discussion.

I am conflicted with the choice between a delta-sigma modulated DAC and an R2R type Dac. I do like the FPGA technology in my current DAC. It has served me well.

I am certainly open to other ideas and welcome comments from those of you that have experience with this equipment.

I forgot to add; I like a wide and deep soundstage and good imaging. I also hate a rolled off high end.

desperado915

After a short time enjoying it I knew I was keeping it.  I spent that money on a SOTA Escape turntable and Sutherland KC Vibe and got back into vinyl 

@oddiofyl  Nice!  Bonus!!!  And congrats on your great new DAC.  Love hearing stories like this cause they’re pretty rare. 

For a cheap dac it’s hard to beat the Denafrips Ares II .....But for a dac that plays with the $10 K crowd, call Vlad at Audio Mirror for $3500 The Toubadour IV SE  is the most musical dac you can get...R2R and TUBED !

Excuse this sidetrack,  but does anyone know why "report this" in blue text was put on my last post here?

If I broke a rule, I wasnt aware.

Cant find any admin contact to ask.

Thanks.

@desperado915, how much do you enjoy your Chord DAC’s sound signature? Because if you do I’d highly recommend you demoing the Qutest.