Law Of Diminishing Returns?

I'm curious about what you enthusiasts think of the product or price that eclipses your definition of "value".  

As an example I have a rich buddy that just spent 100K upgrading his (former) Pass 600s / Bryston / B&W Signature 800s / JL Fathom 8 speaker  system. I have a discerning ear and cannot hear the difference between the old system and his new S5M Perlistons (4) , Anthem AVN90, ,ATI amp AT6005 (4) and four subs.

This got me to thinking- 80% more money for maybe 20% more sound quality? 

Where is the sweet spot for the discerning ear and the affluent but not Billionaire (think Doctor/Lawyer/Indian Chief) budget?  Can you get 80% HiFi sound for 20K or do you need to spend 100K to get that HiFi sound?

-Asking for a friend :)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xyesiam_a_pirate

Showing 1 response by jmalen123

As stated, aesthetics can play a roll for many of us but where sound quality is concerned my room has always dictated what gear worked best not the cost. That said, the choices you make in your acquisitions matter more than the price. I used generous upgrade policies and a few used items to get to a place I otherwise could not afford. Money is great but common sense and patience can really deliver.