kt88 vs kt150

my amp (Rogers EHF200 Mk 2) will take KT-88, KT-120 and KT-150.  I have only tried it with the 150's.  I'd be interested in comments on the sonic differences to expect with KT-88's.   I understand that the bass is likely better with the 150's, but it seems a little boomy with my system. 

128x128lloydc

Showing 1 response by mulveling

Of course results will vary by amp - but I've tried all 3 in my VAC 200iQ auto-bias monoblocks. The KT150 sounds most different of the 3. KT88 and 120 are much more interchangeable. In my VACs the 150 indeed gave a far more powerful bottom end (certainly overdeveloped and overpowered), but it was "too much" and out of proportion to the rest of the music. Fun for a minute, but ultimately tiresome. Definitely not for me. I sold them. 

The Tung-Sol KT120 has a touch more powerful bass than KT88, without being overblown. Still a balanced musical tube while being particularly great for rock music IMO. Gold Lion KT88 has a more vibrant, rich midrange and more open top end - best for most musical genres other than hard rock & metal. In my case it's easy to see why GL KT88 was the manufacturer's stock choice, but I do still quite like KT120 on swap too.