kt77 vrs kt120 in Rogue M180s

I recently was a able to compare gold lion kt 77s verses tung sol kt120s in my Rogue audio M180 mono-blocks, and wanted to share my experiences with you. I did these comparisons over a period of weeks, so I think I now have a pretty good understanding of their sound in my amps. The kt77s have a little bit more air and extension in the treble, nice midrange, and very good depth, and slightly looser on the bass. The kt 120s, were clear and very open sounding, with better projection into the room with the sound stage, with less depth than the kt77, but have better width and separation. The kt120s also had better Bass extension and control over my Revel f32s woofers, They seemed to wake up the speaker, everything sounded dynamic and full. Besides the little bit of roll off in the highs, I much preferred the kt 120s in my system. Hope this helps some of you, Christopher
chrissain

Showing 2 responses by salectric

Thank you Chrssain! Your post prompted me to swap out my KT-120s for the KT-77s they replaced several months ago. This was the first time I'd swapped the outputs since installing the KT-120s, and the comparison clarified my thoughts on the KT-120s and made me more aware of some positive qualities of the KT-77s. My tubes were used in Emotive Audio Vita mono amps which can use a variety of outputs ranging from the 6L6 family to the KT-120s. I ran the KT-120s at 65ma and the KT-77s at 50ma.

In my amps, here's how I would describe the tubes:

* The KT-77s have slightly more HF extension, a "sparkle" that is missing from the 120s.
* Bass with the 77s is slightly warmer and richer, also a bit looser.
* Leading edges of transients are slightly softer with the KT-77s.
* The midrange of the 77 is slightly recessed (or is the 120 slightly forward?).
* Micro-dynamics with the KT-77 are slightly better.

The above comments are what I would call objective. I am reasonably confident that someone listening in my room at the same time would agree with each of the above. On a more subjective scale, however, I would add that the KT-77s seem to be somewhat more free-flowing and less "mechanical" than the KT-120s. The KT-77s are perhaps more colored overall but are more fun to listen through.

All in all, both tubes sound great! I much prefer either of them to the GEC KT-88 for instance, and I am glad to have each of them as an option. However, I have to say that on balance I will probably go back to the KT-77 as my everyday tube.

I also have to add that my amps were not designed specifically for the KT-120. Most amps designed for the KT-120 use a higher B+ voltage that allows more power from the KT-120, but I have no idea how that would affect the sonics.
Xti16, Sorry, I should have been more specific. The only KT-77 and KT-88 tubes I have tried are the Gold Lion reissues. I have never heard the vintage GEC.