kt77 vrs kt120 in Rogue M180s

I recently was a able to compare gold lion kt 77s verses tung sol kt120s in my Rogue audio M180 mono-blocks, and wanted to share my experiences with you. I did these comparisons over a period of weeks, so I think I now have a pretty good understanding of their sound in my amps. The kt77s have a little bit more air and extension in the treble, nice midrange, and very good depth, and slightly looser on the bass. The kt 120s, were clear and very open sounding, with better projection into the room with the sound stage, with less depth than the kt77, but have better width and separation. The kt120s also had better Bass extension and control over my Revel f32s woofers, They seemed to wake up the speaker, everything sounded dynamic and full. Besides the little bit of roll off in the highs, I much preferred the kt 120s in my system. Hope this helps some of you, Christopher
chrissain

Showing 4 responses by reynolds853

I have Rogue M180s and run them with Gold Lion KT88s. My small tubes are Telefunken. I tried KT120s and didn't care for them. There was a bit more bass but at the expense of the holographic soundstage my system normally gives. That wasn't a trade off I wanted to make, so I stayed with the KT88s.
Wolf, you cracked me up!

Chris, I ordered my M180s originally with the GL KT88s as an upgrade. I've been fortunate that they've been going strong for about 3 or 4 years. I've been told that Rogue rejects a lot of tubes, so the ones they supply are supposedly better than average. In case you haven't sourced your tubes from them, that might be helpful should you decide to re-tube.
The EH KT88s Rogue was getting had some quality issues. I don't think Samzx12's trouble with them was rare. That prompted Mark to go with EH KT90s as the base offering. It was simply related to the quality issues with the EH KT88s.

My GL KT88s were a $320 upgrade when I placed the original order. I've had no trouble with them.
Chris,

I really don't know if the longevity of my tubes are unusual or not. A buddy of mine has an Ayon Spirit 1 with GL KT 88s, and they have a few years on them too. I can ask the guys at the shop to see if what they have to say. I will post their comments. You also might ask Mark if he's been seeing any issues with the GLs.

I wonder how robust the Shuguang Black Bottle tubes are? I have no idea how they sound though.