KT150 to KT120..or KT120 to KT150

Has anyone here gone from using KT120's in their amp to KT150's and preferred the KT150 tube...conversely has anyone gone from KT150's in their amp to KT120's and preferred the KT120's? 
128x128daveyf

Showing 3 responses by wolf_garcia

I used both in my previous amp, a push pull 85wpc, and my current amp, a single ended SEP Class A...in both cases I also preferred the 120s as they seem relatively clean and clear sounding, where the 150s just sound forced somehow. Now I use neither as Gold Lion KT77s and 88s and Tung Sol 7581s all sound better in the SEP amp than 120s or 150s...currently running an old unused pair of Sovtek KT88s...they're great!

My Had amp wound up with GL KT66s, and I liked them so much I "panic bought" a back up pair. Great sounding tubes in a great amp...however...I recently bought a new Pass Labs XA25 and none of my tubes work in that amp (you can lay tubes on top of it or maybe cram some underneath)...that said, although not necessarily completely broken-in yet, I think the XA25 is an amp every tube freak (with compatible speakers and things) should hear. Good Ol' Nelson, whom I've admired for his DIY community support and First Watt stuff (never owned one of those, but still), has simply designed a killer thing in the 25...I've never heard a solid state amp that resolves detail and provides the astonishing tonal "rightness" like this thing...just pure Class A slam and life, utterly quiet performance with effortless clarity, accuracy, and soul for days...I'm smitten (smote?)...

I'm keeping my Had amp to use when I feel like it...it's a work of art and only uses 4 tubes so I want the amp to think I'm just giving it a well deserved break so as not to hurt its feelings. The Pass amp was bought out of curiosity after reading so many glowing reviews and opinions about it, and I generally like Nelson's open attitude toward the DIY community and his design ethic.