Kt120 Vs kt90 Sound characteristics

Have the kt90's and would someone clue me in on sound differences on the 120's not power isnt important

128x128hiend2

Showing 3 responses by stereo5

The KT 120 tubes in the Cronus Magnum gave an authoritative sound but there was always a bit of grain in the background which I did not get with EL34’s. At the time, only Tung Sol made the KT120  tubes but there may be other manufacturers now.  I didn’t care for them.  I sold the amp after a year and a half as it wasn’t what I thought it would be.  I was disappointed.  I wanted a more lush midrange with better bass and no grain. 

@decooney,

I get what you are saying but I used that integrated with the KT120’s for over a year at 8 hours a day.  Surely the tubes would have been very well broken in.  Perhaps it was the Rogue Integrated itself that was introducing the noise.  It was the first gen of the Cronus Magnum that I bought used.  Maybe the second and third generation was better?

@decooney,

I tried a bunch of different signal tubes including NOS Mullard CV4003 tubes and some other exotic tubes.  Although it did change the flavor, that grain was always evident.  Unfortunately, I sold the amp when I bought a McIntosh MA6600 integrated which I use daily in my office system.  Next up will be to get a pair of Cornwall IV’s to try in the office system.  I’m currently using the new JBL 100 Century speakers in the office system with a single SVS sub.  While I love the sound, I have an itch to try the Cornwalls.  I use that system to try different speakers.