Krell anticipator circuits of the 1990s

"Krell FPB-600 Stereo Power Amplifier

This big power amp features the evolution of the plateau biasing circuit introduced in the KSA series of amps. This circuit anticipates the power demands of the output by monitoring the incoming signal as the demand for power increases, the more power the amplifier supplies. After a grace period of fifteen seconds and no additional high current signal demands, the Krell FPB-600 amplifier returns to its appropriate power setting. This feature allows for Class A bias output without all the wasted electricity and heat."

Do you believe the anticipator can up the bias quickly enough?  A guy hits a huge bass drum, the anticipator circuit senses this and ups the bias in time for the hit to be amplified in Class A?

We are talking a micro second.  Once he hit it the start of the moment was over.  This was a con.  Created by Krell because they were under pressure from the emerging green lobby to cut power consumption.  Qualified Krell service engineers have not been able to explain to me how it can work.

Me?  I still have my KRS200s.  Pure Class A.  So there's my answer.

128x128clearthinker

Showing 3 responses by retiredfarmer

I heard  a set of bryston  7b monoblocks  compared  to the krell fbp600. I am not s bryston  fan but I found them to sound much better in that system  that day. A friend used to have a set of krell kma monoblocks  I really liked them. I never liked the 600. 

@clearthinker I agree with you new is ot a given that it is better. The idea that technology has advanced so much I find interesting what is really new technology in amplifiers? Preamplifier s? Phono stages? There have been both forward and backwards steps in digital. Some components have gotten better. In my personal opinion the levinson 33h s i have, got better with the new caps better than the original ones. I think powercords have got much more balanced in the last thirty years. The hifi receptacle s are much better than the hospital grade which were much better than standard receptacle s. Things have progressed but not everything and the old top of the line new product s are still contenders and the new ones have to be really good to be as good. The only amps that I have heard that I think are better than what I have or possibly are is a pair of de agustino mono blocks I heard in a store demo a couple years back they were there top dog at the time and were really pretty wonderful. Very few times do I listen to a demo and think I could live with that system. This was one of the few times I could say that.

@clearthinker there is something  to  be said about owning  your amps for many years. First off you know them very well. Secondly  you  are off the rat race to continually  buy and sell. In my opinion  it takes a bunch of time  to get a system  at its peak. That is not in a month or two. That takes a few years. You can get them fairly close in a few months  but top performance  takes time and effort and listening.  As you eluded  to before many times the biggest effort  is put into early products.  When the person who formed the company  was in control and had the passion  for what he was making long before the bean counters  were there.  As far as time goes most everyone who plays with stereo  equipment  at this level works very hard in what ever they do. Most blue collar people think that the wealthy  are lazy that is far from the truth more like some of the hardest working  people out there. So that also brings up a couple of points spare time is limited  so what does a person  get there happiness  from in audio,  listening  to music  or discovering  each new piece that comes out?  None of those things are bad but a person  wants to get enjoyment  out of the hobby and that in a nut shell  is what the goal is. I always maintain  that what a person is doing is trying  to paint a picture with your hifi system.  There is no right artist just different  styles just because  a person's taste is a monet  doesn't  mean a DaVinci  is bad. I love hearing  other people s choices  as it is a view into that person's soul it shows in ways that people rarely show you. What makes me enjoy this thread is the passion  that many people are showing that is one thing that is wonderful  about this quest is it brings out passion.