koetsu

seeking advice as to where the sweet spot is in this line price/performance.

dancekerl

Showing 5 responses by james1969

I don't have much experience with Koetsu, but I can report my RSP is breaking in VERY nicely.  I took a leap of faith and I'm very happy.  Out of the box, it sounded very similar to my previous cartridge (Clearaudio Maestro MM).  I'm about 20 hours into running in the RSP, and the richness has appeared, so has the bloom and frequency extremes.  I hear and feel the Koetsu charm and spell.
I'm using the tonearm that came with my Technics SL1210MG5 with a KAB fluid damper attached.  I've loaded the tonearm with mass so that I've achieved a resonant frequency of 11Hz which helped quite a bit with tracking and better bass.  Tracking force is set to 1.92 grams.

Do you know what resonant frequency you have achieved with your RSP?  I'm curious if I should go lower to the optimal 10Hz?
I'm using the HiFi News Analogue Test LP to measure resonant frequency: side 2, track 2.  If you are curious to see how your setup measures.  It's an audible/visual test.

I have an Audio-technica AT-LH 18, 18 gram head shell coming in soon, I will use that, and recalibrate to see if I can make the optimal 9Hz - 10Hz frequency.
lewm,  I'm not too worried about 1Hz really, I'm using the HiFi News Analogue Test LP to measure resonant frequency.  I'm not hearing any issues what so ever, what I hear is making me very happy with my choice.

dancekerl, good luck with your decision, please let us know where you land.  The Koetsu experience is real.