klipsch cornwall iv upgraded crossovers

I own a pair of cornwalls, amazing speakers they are paired with MC452 power  and a MC 70 tube pre.I play cds only on a yamaha C2100. My question is I hear people talking about upgrades to the crossovers on the corns  and softening the horns with  sound tape . Do any of those changes work,one or the other and do they make it worthwhile. Would like input from anyone who has tried the upgrades and who they used

eoj4952

Showing 12 responses by eoj4952

Oz I emailed Don Sachs.com went out for an hour. Checked when I got home he had already responded . You were right good guy took the time to answer my question . Thanks

The speakers are 7 months old about 70 to 100 hours on them. I'm new to the craziness.I paired the VI's  with an old yamaha DSP1 not good . Found an old  ADCOM555 made the dsp1 a preamp.  Better but still not happy. Always liked MC got a tube preamp c70 .The DSP1 went back to the basement. WOW the VI's were starting to sound good. Walk into a repair shop spotted  another adcom555. First  mono and then bywired stereo. upgraded  speaker wire and  interconnects , added an old yamaha 100 watt sub. was  very very good. But still wanted a mac amp,  after some reading found a mc452. The sound was amazing, huge soundstage, the whole back of the room and 5 feet high. 3 times the adcoms. The point of this is every upgrade even little ones, they sounded better and better. So now I'm chasing sound. Tubes or upgrades not sure yet. Thanks for the input excepting all advice

The upgrades are better quality caps and resistors and others . There's only one guy doing them that I could find on ebay . His reviews are good. He upgrades a lot of top brand speakers, they  loved the upgrades . Problem is no reviews for the IV's. Sounded like I would be the ginny pig. IF I take a chance and lay out the 750. for the pair and don't like them. I would still have the originals . Or should I put that money toward a tube amp 275VI  or really piss off my wife with the 1502 . I really like bi- wiring . Opinions welcomed 

Being a newbie, Reading the post I would think damping the cones. Just curiosity,  what and where is the metal woofer box. 

What do these baskets slip over the originals I think I know the old ones don't come off right 

Sorry to chime in late wasn't able to post because my address wasn't on file. But I dampen my IV's a year ago. I used Dynamat 1/4 inch tape .The sound  improvement was clear and very obvious Warmer less squawking much easier to listen to I used to get tired of listening and yawning after 20 mins. The first thing I noticed, was I could listen for an hour without squirming. I stopped yawning and enjoyed favorite cuts with new enthusiasm. Damping involves 35$ and 2 hours of work .It's easy to do and I highly recommend it. And best of all if you don't like, it takes 20 mins. to reverse. I've seen the negativity on some post a lot goes in to good sound. Equipment decent wires room size and acoustics. But  above all quality of recordings.  Naysayers can say what they want but my IV's sound like Six's now.

I looked into the upgraded crossovers . There's a store on ebay with good reviews. The problem was you had to take your crossovers out and ship them to him. He also had a long turnaround do to backlog of work. If I could have bought them outright, I would have taken a chance. But without the original  crossovers to go back to NO.

When first purchased, I listening to them in a prepared showroom .They were in my price range and I liked  the sound. I didn't have hours to spend listening and comparing. And not all music made me yawn. I listen to mostly  rock and roll 60s to 70s and 80s  100pct CD's  I found that better quality recordings were amazing and ok ones  weren't. but that's not the point Trying to make your system sound better is what we do, part of the hobby. My earlier tread in the beginning of this post, lists my changes in equipment and where I am today. I'm very happy with my system BUT always looking to improve it 

I feel like a little kid again playing that game. Remember you whisper into the person next to you after someone tells you something and boom it morphs into something else . What happen to Cornwell IV's crossovers ? I'm happy to see that a post from a year ago, has finally caught on. Thanks 

Hey, a year later. I used sound deadening tape to sutile the sound of my Cornwall IVs. Look it up on You tube. Best thing  I ever did. Best speakers out there for under 10,000 There amazing. Every upgrade makes you WONDER They just get better.