Kinki studio EX-M1, EX-M1+ differences... vs Denafrips Hestia/ Hyperion combo?

I've been reading up on some Integrated Amps and Pre-Amp/Amp combos lately but have some questions.

The following is an excerpt from SoundStageHifi:
The original EX-M1 was introduced in 2017. The newly updated EX-M1 — without the “+” — costs $2398 and includes, among other things, changes in the power supply, capacitance, and the volume control, the latter now using a MUSES72320 controller instead of the previous relay-based control. The EX-M1+ is essentially identical to the upgraded EX-M1, but adds a preamp-stage output and a home-theater bypass to entirely bypass the preamp stage.

That last sentence has me a little confused. 
"The EX-M1+ is essentially identical to the upgraded EX-M1" - What is the "upgraded" EX-M1?  Does this mean that the latest version of the EX-M1 has all the updates that they just covered preceding this statement?

The 2nd half of the statement says " but adds a preamp-stage output and a home-theater bypass to entirely bypass the preamp stage." - You'll have to excuse my ignorance.  Does this mean that I can add a pre-amp in the future and use the EX-M1+ as a Power Amp?  Also, does this mean that I cannot add a pre-amp to the EX-M1 (non-plus)?

At this time, I don't have hard to drive speakers, and I don't foresee having something like that anytime soon, so I was also considering the Denafrips Hestia/Hyperion combo.  I haven't seen any reviews comparing these 2 company's offerings... any feedback is appreciated.

jwlaudio
@jackd 

Thanks for that.  Why do you think this is the case?  I have thought about buying an XLR to RCA that boosts the voltage a little bit so I can use the balanced interconnects.  If I build another Nelson Amp Camp Amp, I could have an amp with balanced outputs in dual mono configuration, but the F8 and this Yamaha is noticeably better, at least to my ears.  I hope they send me new tubes, PS Audio is building my BHK pre right now, so at least the unit is new production.  It's been like 3 weeks already, hopefully they will finish building it and send it out to me soon.
@jwlaudio 

Not sure but something in the way Bascom designed the volume control circuit.  Just know that between a friend and I we tried three different units and almost a dozen SE amps.  If it causes a problem at least you have the 30 day return.  
@jackd

Thank you.  I have 4 amps, all with SE inputs so if that volume control is unbearable, I guess I'll have to think about returning it.  I do use the volume control often since I use this system from multiple sources.  I really hope that it works out for me though.  I've been hearing such good things about this BHK Pre.
@jwlaudio 

One way around it once you figure out the "sweet spot" volume for each source is to mute before changing the volume level then un-mute.  Anyway even though it doesn't have all the remote conveniences and input options of the BHK I much prefer the sound and lack of quirks with the Supratek Chardonnay at a far lower price.  Same is true of the Don Sachs preamp.  
@jackd
Just wondering how much better your BHK/EX-M7 and Chardonnay/EX-M7 combos sounded than your EX-M1 and in what ways?

A while back I tried to downsize my tube pre/tube amp combo to the EX-M1 (original) but although the EX-M1 was very impressive with low noise floor, dynamics, detail, speed, smoothness, PRaT etc, I just wanted a touch more palpability, organic-ness and ended up selling the EX-M1. Also the EX-M1 had way too much gain, even on low gain setting.

I’m now thinking the EX-M7 with my tube pre-amp might get me to where I want to be. Or, if I need to lose more gain, the Athena and EX-M7.

Also, I can’t find how much gain the EX-M7 has, do you know?