Kind of Blue

This was the first Jazz CD I ever owned.  I currently have over 200 Jazz CDs and Kind of Blue is still #1 on my list.

What are your favs?

128x128jjbeason14

Several years ago when I was playing saxophone tracks for a jazz gig, in the studio, the engineer put on a few Blue Note tracks. In the studio they were amazing and still my benchmark for how I would like my listening room to sounds like.

I'm into Japanese jazz artists and mainly into jazz-rock and fusion.

Masayoshi Takanaka

Casiopea

Masuro Imada

Carioca

So agree with recording quality of late 1950's ... Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section is sublime!!   

The one jazz artist I find myself going back to more than any other is Kenny Drew.  Especially his recordings on the Steeplechase label, which itself is a goldmine of brilliant jazz recordings.

@audioman58

How about Mike Olfield Tubular bells 1&2 is this considered Jazz ?
this was considered a classic for its time ,what category is that in ?

No, no, no!

Not even close to jazz.

It is firmly in the prog-rock genre, or progressive music genre. which is such a broad genre of music, with some of the widest variation in any musical genre I know of.

While several subgenres of prog are highly influenced by jazz, and may even be as much jazz as prog, Mike Oldfield is certainly not.

For example: the Zeuhl subgenre of prog, started by a drummer, Christian Vander, who idolized John Coltane. And that core of jazz tends to run through many bands that are in this subgenre. Or, the so called Canterbury scene of prog, has much in common with jazz fusion.