Kind of Blue

This was the first Jazz CD I ever owned.  I currently have over 200 Jazz CDs and Kind of Blue is still #1 on my list.

What are your favs?

128x128jjbeason14

Ouch… my ears…Holdsworth… after seeing Return to Forever and Kind of Blue I was not expecting that.

I find the jazz recordings of the late ‘50’s and ‘60’s sound SO much better than the rock albums in later years, eg, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, etc. Wonder why that is? Better recording engineers in the jazz genre? 

Funny. I was a newbie a very long long time ago. I was shopping for classical music LPs at Twist & Shout here in Denver. I was talking to someone and mentioned I was unsure if I can enjoy jazz or not. Luckily, this guy was the co-owner of the shop, I think. He smiled and took me to the counter and gave me one CD and said, "Take this home. It is on the house. If you can enjoy this CD, then Jazz is for you. If you cannot, then safely move on to something else." Guess what was the CD? Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. That was it and rest was history. I still have that CD which was a gift from a music enthusiast.

Many greats back then ,reading  about them man6 had drug habits I was shocked even in the 50s . Many greats Live at the vanguard , I even go back to Glen Miller and enjoy ,people forget drinking was not considered a drug ,but being part of society. Greats like Mingus , Blakely, Chet Baker ,Sonny Rollins , they all contributed something .

I assumed back then Drugs was off limits I guess I was mistaken, the 60s much more so with a variety of mind benders ,which helped in creativity !!

How about Mike Olfield Tubular bells  1&2  is this considered Jazz ? 
this was considered a classic for its time ,what category is that in ?