Kenwood KT-5020 from Japan

So I bought a Kenwood KT-5020 tuner on eBay from a Japanese seller for what I thought was a decent price & free shipping. There are quite a few 5020s listed - all from Japanese sellers - for about the same $160ish price range. I received the tuner in short order, hooked it up and discovered - Japanese tuners do not have the fm tuning frequency range which we have in the US - it's a very narrow range from 76 to 90 MHz instead of our 88 to 108. Ok, I am not a sophisticated audio enthusiast, but I did my research and found the 5020 was highly thought of by some reviewers and was pleased to find several for sale on eBay but nowhere in my research did I find warning flags about the tuning frequency discrepancy between the US and Japanese market tuners. I started the return process w/ebay and was immediately refunded my money and never heard from the seller about returning the tuner. I find the whole experience curious and wonder if I am the only person to have bought one  of these Japanese tuners on the 'bay because searching with Google reveals not a hint of discussion about it. This discussion may be the only touchstone for others with the same experience. - Chris
civich

Showing 2 responses by yogiboy

I wonder why the specifications in the owners manual are 87.5 mhz to 108 mhz?  It makes no sense to me!