Jupiter Copper Foil, Paper & Wax Cap Versus Jensen Cap 0.10uF 630Vdc Copper Foil Ceramic

Greetings,
Your advice and comments would be most helpful and appreciated.
I will need to change my current capacitors in my tube power amp as one of my current Jensen 0.1uF 630V Copper Foil, PIO, Aluminium is now a problem - caused a EL34 tube heater to glow red. I will need four new capacitors.

I am considering two possible replacements:

1. 0.1uF 600Vdc Jupiter Copper Foil, Paper & Wax Capacitor   
2. Jensen Capacitor 0.1uF 630Vdc Copper Foil Ceramic Case 

Any comments on how these compare in their sound characteristics?
I would like a cap that offers balance across all frequencies, control, richness, enticing tone, and transparency. Also ease of flow of the music.    
Thanks so much, Bob 

marish200

Showing 3 responses by bigkidz

"Jupiter is richer sounding than Vcaps with better meat on the bones weight and body. Vcaps are more resolving and sharper leading edges. However this resolution comes with a slightly thinner sound."

I don't agree with this statement.  The Jupiter Oil Caps are way more open with much better detail in my opinion and are a better build quality again my opinion.  The Jupiter copper foil had too much emphasis on the mid-range so it gave the impression of a thicker sound more musical sound at first but the V-Cap oil was a much better all around sound.  The V-Cap copper is a level above all of the others.  I did not like the V-Cap Teflon at all.  Just not to my liking.

How did I base my opinion - I build DACs, preamps and phono stage components.  I can compare the different caps in each component since I build multiple units and compare directly by swapping them out.  No need to swap out the capacitors, just switch the units. Plus other people also hear them as I change the units and they all prefer the V-Caps.

Good luck and Happy Listening.

@grannyring 

Thanks Bill but my partner and I repair/rebuild 5 to 10 components each month for many years now.  Counterpoint we have done every preamp design that they have, Counterpoint phono stages,and Counterpoint power amps, Melos preamps and power amps, EAR, ARC, CJ, DeHaveland (spelling), Audible Illusions, Supratek, Coincident, Dude (Pat changed the caps out with V-Cap Copper), Berkeley, Musical Fidelity, Hovland, Graaf, Peach Tree, VAC, Blue Circle, MAC, Sim Audio, Lamm, Wyteck, HK, Pass, Sony Techniques, Kenwood, Rowland, Levinson, Marantz, Rogue, Jadis, Naim, Denon, BAT, Luxman, Channel Islands, Krell, First Watt, Linn, Cary, Hafler, VTL, CEC, Wadia, Metronome, Audiomeca, Museatex, EMM Labs, Theta, Adcom, Spectral, Bryston, B&K, and many more.  While we have not put in better caps in everyone of these components, we have done comparisons in many.  Since I have many values of both caps laying around especially the Jupiters, we have been able to let the owner of the gear we repair/upgrade choose what sound they prefer.  So far the V-Cap was the cap selected.  Even GT Audio the speaker manufacturer in New Jersey that has used my DAC for the audio shows, changed to V-Caps over the Jupiter capacitors in their X-overs with the same results, much bigger soundstage, detail, etc.  They noted the same impact on the sound comparing the two capacitors.

Now I am not saying that everyone will have the same results, that would be dumb on my part, but so far, this is what my experience has provided.  Did you use the oil, copper or the Teflon V-capacitors?  I did not like the sound of the teflon as I already stated above.

@marish200 - copper foil Jupiter capacitors.  I did not like the bees wax ones at all except in amps and preamps.  The higher uF can also make a difference.

Also, we did modify an amp a few years back and the Jupiter caps failed.  Jupiter replaced them at no charge and if my memory is correct, they had a production change.  I am not saying that they are bad capacitors, I think they are excellent, I just prefer the V-Caps once broken in.  You have to try and decide for yourself though.

Happy Listening.

@erik_squires what  dsze Audyn cap do you need?  I may have some laying around if you want to try them.