Jolida JD9 settings for use with a Denon DL-160?

Greetings all,
I just picked up a nice deal on a used *original* (not the newer version) JD-9 phono preamp as an upgrade to my current TT/Cart setup - stock Technics SL-1200mkII and Denon DL-160 (HIGH output MC, 1.6mV)

My previous set up was using the built in phono pre input on my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp.

I checked the settings on the Jolida and the switches were set to 47kOhm (switch 4 on) and 47 pF (switch 5 on) with the gain at 55dB (ALL gain switches off).

I connected the HI outputs to the Tuner inputs (line level) on the A5 (I did not connect it back up to the phono inputs).

After letting the JD-9 warm up for 2 hrs, I put on my ultra quiet and nice sounding Friday Music release of Heart's Dreamboat Annie.

First impressions - wow - bright and brittle...lean sounding on the bottom end :-(

Turned everything off and reconnected the TT directly to the phono inputs.

Ah...back to the smoother, more liquid sound w/ better tonal balance and more oomph to the bottom end. :-)

So....any recommendations on how to set the JD-9?

Thanks,
Erik
erikt

Showing 1 response by drrsutliff

I used the DL-160 with a gain of 38db on my VAC Standard LE MM phono input to good effect. I think the 55db may be to high. The A5 has a MM input, but I was not able to find the actual amplification factor. I would try to lower your gain (many opinions about the true output of the DL-160 being higher than the specified 1.6mv) to around 38 to 42 if possible. Also the tubes may need to be checked if this is a used unit.