Jeff Rowland Model 8 or Plinius SA 103

With B&W 801S3 which is the best combination, Jeff Rowland model 8 or Plinius SA103 ?
Thanks for helping.

nic10

Having owned that 801s3 I’d definitely go with the Rowland. That tweeter can get a little on the bright side with some gear. The Rowland model 8, which I also owned but with different speakers, is a fantastic amp. It’s not overly warm like the older model 5 was and has great control that you need to really get good bass out of the ported 801.  This will also come down to system matching with your preamp cables and other components. What is the rest of the system like?

Hello carey,
Audio Research Ref1 preamp, Lector Cdp 7TL MK3 digital source, Duelund DCA12GA speaker and rca cables.
Thanks for your informations.

The Rowland 8 is a tremendous amp, I have owned one for many years, had it modded by Jeff and believe it easily competes with most of the best ss amps that are on the market today. 

While the Plinius is a good amp, it really is not in the same league IMO.

While the Plinius is a good amp, it really is not in the same league IMO.

@daveyf That’s your opinion, but assuming you’ve never heard the SA103 it’s just an unfounded opinion and nothing more.  Keep in mind the Plinius is a pure Class A design, which I think the Model 8 is not so that’s a big difference.  Also, the Model 8 is anywhere from 25-30 years old, so unless it’s been serviced, re-capped, etc. good luck with that.