Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Very eclectic trio of clips!  The first two are two of my favorite records.  The third by Hanrahan is new to me and by one of the most interesting producers out there.  I didn’t know much about him except as the producer of Piazolla’s “Zero Hour” which you posted and some comments about him in the press.  That will have to change based on what a little research “Pinero” has revealed to me.  Very interesting personality in music and very worth checking out.  Thanks!
Frogman,

Kip Hanrahan and I both went to The Cooper Union, a school for art architecture and engineering in New York’s East Village, in the 70s, when the East Village was cool. He studied sculpture. I was a painting major.

Kip is an Irish Jew from the South Bronx, that’s how he ended up in Latin music. I’m Polacko-Rican, that’s how I ended up drawn to Latin Jazz.

Astor Piazzola also lived in the East Village. I saw Astor perform at SOB’s in 1988.

I knew Pinero briefly, having lived upstairs in the East Village tenement (do they still call them that these days?) that The Nuyorican Poets Cafe was founded in and that Pinero hung out in. I’m still friends with some of the surviving founders.

Kip lives in North Carolina these days. The music has been and is still a struggle financially for him.
I started watching Bosch on Amazon Prime.  It's ok but was really inspired by some of the jazz that's used in the series.  His character is a fan.  I went into Glenn Poor's Audio in Champaign and was literally blown away by Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.  I left the store with the MoFi Kind of Blue Box set.  Absolutely soothing to my soul and now can't get enough.  
I posted this previously, to deafening silence as I recall :-)
Re-posting because it's Ms. Vaughan sharing vocal duties (wait for her to appear at ~1:10) on a beautiful Creme/Godley song from their Consequences album.  Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nk4lhxKK6k