Is your now then?

What was your first significant experience with quality audio (then) and how does it compare with your present system (your now).
Do you think we strive to return to the past and remain in those influential times? Are our choices psychological, nostalgic even....?

Mine is a mixed bag. Solid state with turntable were my beginnings. Presently SS with digital sources trumping my TT most days. I am still enamored by albums and uber turntables, but budget constraints and the ease of digital is presently winning.
jpwarren58

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

In the late 50's-early 60's my parents bought this "375 watt" console, beautiful woodwork, very lousy sound quality.  One of my high school buddies brought a scope over and found that this system produced only about 8 watts per channel before the distortion climbed "through the roof".
When the Sgt. Pepper album was released, I set in front of one of those plastic stereo portable units with the "fold down" turntable, my first experience of "stereo sound"...and was "hooked" on audio.
I went off to college with a Kenwood integrated amp, Dual 1219/Shure V15, Wollensak reel-to-reel and Large Advents.
Since then I've had lots of other components, am now at a point where I'm pretty much "done" with upgrades!