Is this the END of DAYS for the high end CD player

Seem like this format days are numbered like the cassette and LP. Why would you want to spend 5k or 10k+ for a high-end CD player or DAC combo??

Just trying to see what other audiophile’s thoughts are and where you guys & gals may be planing for the future. Do you stop here at the high end CD player and this format or go completely too digital files?

I'm at a quandary about investing into an expensive CD player setup.
apachef1
Please read this article.... written by a Weiss engineer

http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/hifi-computer-faq/cas-5-cd-ripping-for-mac-itunes/

So I guess, the difference is not due to a "perfect" rip.... as the results from all his "ripping" methods are all identical.

The problem is else where.... here are some Q&A

"(2) Okay, if things are such simple and perfect, every digital source should has the same sounding?

Things are more complex than this

(5) How can this timing information create?

Another name of this timing information is called “Clock signal’. In most digital devices, crystals are installed to generate this timing (clock) signal. A better crystal can provide more accurate timing information. However, we must be careful that the accuracy of crystal does not show the whole picture. The problem most of the time lies on other areas such as power supply, temperature, clock signal path etc.

(8) Does transport mechanism vibration, power supply affect the jitter performance? If they do, then computer must not be a good thing for audio playback.

Yes they can affect the jitter performance"...

So.... I guess ripping is not the issue.... It's the quality of every component in the signal path, from power supply, transport mechanism vibration (I guess this is why burmester 060 uses a modified belt drvie CD system), quality of jitter removal, and etc...

So... even with a perfect rip.... I believe a high quality hi end CD player will still sound better.... since computers has too many internal noise and jitter. "there are too many variables to determine how much jitter is created within a computer".... I guess even with a good DAC, it can not completely remove jitter.
Wayneker2176,

Daniel Weiss makes exceptional digital kit. He also makes the MAN202 a network transport. Since you seem to be caught up in spending $50,000 on a CD player I would have a listen to his more modest but still very expensive approach.

In the price range you are discussing there are a few manufacturers to look at, but I still say for all out assault, a modified computer with every aspect looked at will do all you need and cost peanuts. This is why it is the END of DAYS for the high end CD player. I would not go back personally.

There are guys modifying Mac minis which seem to be the best Mac option for audio playback. Use FW into a mega DAC. After all most of the music recorded today is recorded and mastered on these same computers...
Chadeffect

Can you recommend what modification I need to my computer (Mac Pro, might even get a Mac Mini) besides getting Amarra?
Hi Wayneker,

I think it is fairly simple. A Mac mini, but replace the internal HD with a SSD. I have my mac on a separate isolated electrical spur to my Hifi system and I use a passive mains filter (Audio Magic Stealth XXX) and a nice power cable (VD Master 3.0) on the Mac.

The FW cable is quite a nice one. At the moment I am using the Oyaide FW cable although you can go crazy if you want with the FW cables. I have noticed very slight differences. Not sure its worth going for insanely expensive ones. Better to put the cash in other areas. You can put in extra shielding and damping to go a step further.

Put it on a isolation platform and install whichever software you fancy. I have not experimented with network drives vs USB HDs yet, but I have an external WD 4 TB USB HD. I have this HD and its cables suspended too.

There is a Mac2 Music which is a modified Mac mini and for a sum of money they do most of this and say they modify the operating system and set up.

Have a look around for a DAC that can connect straight to the computer via FW or USB. Most people make one now. If you cant face that then the Weiss int202 is an excellent but expensive interface that plugs into the mac via FW then outputs AES/EBU single/or dual wire and also S/pdif. It can also act as a digital volume control. I used one with my DCS for some time. It was excellent.

I am sure there are others out there that will help. But I have excellent sound and I replaced my DCS transport without any pain apart from the loss of the odd SACD. I put the left over thousands of $ in my bank!
Wayneker - consider a Mach2music.com Mac Mini. It has all the bells and whistles and you dont need to do anything. I used one of these on Sunday at 2010 RMAF. Big improvement over my stock Mini. This is the easy way if you are not a DIYer.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio