Is there a 300B type amp out there with some WATTS behind it?

I recently acquired a Feliks Audio Arioso 300B amp.  To put it simply, it is incredible.  I understand one way to tackle the issue of using SET amps is with high sensitivity speakers.  Is there a 300B or something that gives you that same sound out there with power so you have more speaker options?

audiovicker

Showing 7 responses by charles1dad

Canary Audio Grand Reference 300 B mono amps. 120wpc. a few used on the market

No doubt a very good sounding amplifier (I believe "8" 300bs per side). Problem with choosing a push-pull 300b amplifier is that buying multiple sets of these tubes gets expensive pretty quickly. Particularly so if you are purchasing the upper tier 300b tubes.

It is an excellent tube in my opinion, but they are not cheap to buy. Fortunately, the better-quality versions generally have long lifespans. for more SET power I’d consider the larger transmission type tubes as mentioned previously.

Charles

@emergingsoul 

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I do appreciate them. Yes, Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Dexter Gordon and on and on. Jazz is my true passion.

Charles

@jbhiller 

Hi

My audio system is posted on this site. Click my avatar ID. 
Coincident Total Eclipse II.

Charles 

@jbhiller 

Your general point was well made. No matter how good a 300b SET amplifier may be, it will still have its limits. The 805 with 6x the power is unquestionably going to be more useful with a greater variety of speakers and listening environment demands. 300b SET is superb for my situation. It won’t be for others.

Charles

@jbhiller 

A fair point with regard to the 300b SET amplifier . I will add however that all 300b SET aren’t created equally for sure. Where some will run out of steam, others continue to cruise along. Three key design factors.

1 Robustness of the power supply.

2 Quality of the output transformer 

3 Driver tube selection and implementation of this section.

Agree with you that if a 300b SET just isn’t suitable for the particular circumstances/speakers,the 805 SET is a terrific alternative suggestion.

Charles

Is there a 300B or something that gives you that same sound out there with power so you have more speaker options?

In a strict sense no. Each tube type has their own distinctive sonic character. Can you find other satisfying alternatives? Yes. As mentioned above, an 805 output tube, there’s 845, 211, GM 70 , 6c33c etc. These all can be utilized for higher power SET amplifier.

All are quite capable of exquisite sound quality with good design and excellent implementation. I understand your happiness. The 300b is marvelous in proper circumstances. There are 300b push-pull amplifiers alternatives also.

Charles