Is Speaker design evolution stagnant

Based on what I read from speaker manufacturers, many use the same drivers but apply different crossover philosophies to achieve a particular sound.

My simplistic understanding is that while limiting the range of high or low signals , the remaining signal is corrupted ( phase inversions, roll off, etc.. ).

With today’s technology, why aren’t more speaker manufacturers using active crossovers to be connected after the preamp and sending exact spectrum signals separately to be amplified to each driver.  That would Eliminate all electronics inside the speaker cabinet except the drivers. Each driver gets fed only the signal that it works best at. No out of phase, half phase, quarter phase issues, no phase angle issues. 100% of the power goes to each driver without limiters to scale it back.  I think Bryston Model T Actives is designed this way ( don’t work for them and not pushing any product). Am I looking at it too simply? Do electronic crossover play havoc on signals the way inductors and capacitors do?

Some speaker manufacturers have gone half way with built in woofer amps ( Vaughn?)

Of course you would need a 3 channel amp for each side ( based on W/M/T config) or some variable of mono amps, whatever.

jacksky
Waveform used this method successfully with three stereo amps and a 3-way Bryston x-over.
Some manufactures and designers are using techniques like you describe.

Linn has been using active (Aktiv) systems for decades.

All of Meridian’s speakers/systems use digital active processing.

Solutions such as MiniDSP allow people to implement digital active crossovers, time alignment, parametric equalization and room correction.

Passive crossovers have become a mature technology and technique, and the amplifier watts to power them have become more affordable.  Both passive and active designs can offer great sound, but more and more companies are starting to utilize active systems and digital processing, which I think will continue to grow in the future.
Given the ever dropping cost of computer technology and ever increasing processing capabilities , this is what I imagine will happen IF there is good money to be made :   a few companies will pop up to manufacture active crossovers that can be used with any speaker along with an application that can be operated from a computer ( I-pad, I-phone, laptop....) and utilize a Bluetooth microphone.  It will allow you to generate the full spectrum of sound, take readings, give you graphs and allow you to equalize your speakers on the fly. 
i know some form of this exists, but I am talking user friendly software with real time results on a graph. like my son’s simple clip on guitar tuner, 3 led lights that light up to show you whether to tighten or loosen the string to be in tune.  

As as far as the cost, I think manufacturers will jump on board if they can sell more amps...home theater setups get people to buy 5-7-9 speakers instead of 2.
that seemed to catch on.
Check out ATC. They design and build all their drivers from scratch. They design and build all of their active speaker amplifiers with discrete parts.