Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

I’m a boomer that grew up in New York and was a fan of WNEW FM and got to see all the great concerts.   I got interested in Jazz while still in High School. 
Fast forward to 2002, I started taking my daughters to the Baker Street concerts every Friday night in Atlanta. 
it gave me a whole new appreciation for Alternative Rock so I’ve managed to maintain an appreciation for many eras. 

Bottom line for me is that I enjoy several genres of music and try to keep current using Sirrus XM. 

Man, finding new artist and music has never been easier. And such a huge variety. While I fondly remember sifting through album bins for half a day in my younger years the fact is, and while I still enjoy it, I just don't have that kind of time anymore. So I find having a few minutes to read through threads like this makes it easy to find new artist and music...read post, select highlight, Command C, Qobuz, search bar, Command V, enter, new artist, click the Heart and my next listening session is set.

@yyzsantabarbara

I just have to laugh at that thread title, yes I remember the album bins too, and the 8 tracks, cassettes and reel to reels, but thats equipment.

First remembered listening to older jazz and 16 2/3 records, and 78's and of course 45's as well. especially Buck Owens doing Truck Driven Man on an old RCA with tubes.

One thing I also remember in High School was a class called Music Appreciation, lots of different kinds of music and something that today I guess is a bit of a dinosaur like me.

Albums are different, you listened to one song after another by the same artist, one song might actually blend right into another.

Now we have streaming, pick and choose anything you want. But there's something missing, its called patience. Taking long enough to appreciate what an artist has to say musically. But its not about them, its about us. What we want to hear , not what they want us to hear.

Isn't it easier to skip around streaming all sorts of different music, than to actually sitting down and listening to an entire album ?

In that Music Appreciation class, the teacher thought that classical music would get listened to less and less, and it came true, I really don't think its really appreciated as much as it used to be.

But most classical pieces tend to be longer and you need that patience again to really listen to them.

Maybe all it really takes is time, something that most of us today, just don't have enough of.

I dont believe the statement that buy age 30 your set in your musical choice.Im 70and a boomer ,I'm not a rich bitch.My music tates change all the time.So do my buying habits.For years in my car all I would listen to was music from Sirius Radio,no commercials,just mysic.Now I like FM music stations with the commercials because it like the radio stations I remember as a kid and teenager, the old time Djs....I like everything and I have an open mind.But no Rappa Crappa ,Crap...talking about killing people ,beating women and fighting....Funny there Parents and Grandparents like Jazz,Rhythm and Blues and Soul..when did the Crazy stuff start....I guess just when Disco was dieding.....

@hilde45  Why don't you just delete your first posting.  It is lacking in context and appears to be an equity play for young people versus boomers.   Equal opportunity is available to young people.   They spearhead technological innovations today, not boomers (and sometimes get rich doing so).  Unfortunately, our public education system is dumbing down young people.  They are dumber and tend to be less capable of taking care of themselves.  Also, how often do they read a book or newspaper?   I'm sure you are all in for equity, not equal opportunity and probably think books (those old things written by dead people mostly) are passe.   WRONG!  

@mike_in_nc  I was into 50's rock and roll, pop music from the 20's to 50's, classical and opera as a child.  At about 30, I became interested in jazz from the 20's to the 60's, then in my 60's in hard bop and fusion.  My wife brought me into 60's to 80's rock after we met when I was 41.   I am open minded and find new horizons in music.  (I have 28,500 LPs, 7,000 78s and 7,000 CDs with all these types of music).   I dislike rap, hip hop and the genre that spawned them.   They are antithetical to my moral beliefs.