Is My Onkyo Receiver's Tuner Dead or Just Playing Posum?

Tried using the AM/FM tuner in my Onkyo TX-SR876 home theater receiver but getting no sound. I called Onkyo tech support but the best they could tell me is: "Try a different antenna". This tuner has worked in the past (Las Vegas) but I had a clean line-of-sight to Black Mountain broadcasting antennas. I know this is a shot in the dark but maybe an Onkyo wizard will read and suggest a fix? Can't believe the tuner would just konk out...
128x128dweller

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I read this thread with interest.  I live outside Chicago, listen to WFMT, and have an Onkyo receiver of approximately the same vintage with a Tuner that’s been on the fritz for about two years now.  In my case I get static, but can’t pull in any FM or AM stations.
   The only station that we listen to at home is WFMT..  since I already had both an Apple TV and Bluesound in the system, I switched to Internet Radio and we listen digitally.  This also led to us exploring other Classical Stations and now our favorite is Radio Venice.  WFMT sounds great digitally but I mainly listen to it in the car.
in my case I suspect something may have happened with the aerial, but it’s located in our attic, which is a crawl space.  We had a Home Theater installer place it there, but in the last two years I’ve had Open Heart and back surgery, so I’m not going up there to investigate.  If the task doesn’t cause me harm, my wife will hit me with a frying pan for trying.  And pretty much any radio station worth listening to has a digital feed.  Unless you are die hard analog (and if you are listening via a receiver and not a tube amp, I suspect that you are not), the differences are minor, and once you start exploring the amount of choice available digitally, you’ll never want to go back