Is it worth it to add a music server just for FLAC files?

Hopefully someone can help with my question.

My current system is a Krell Digital Vanguard Integrated Amplifier and Wilson Cub Series 2 speakers. The Krell has a USB input that I have connected to an external hard drive that contains all of my FLAC files. I control what is playing with the mconnect app on my phone and can stream from Qobuz/Tidal/Spotify if I need to. It all works fine and sounds great to my ears.

My question is other than some GUI navigation improvements what would be gained if I ran my FLAC files through a music/network server (Aurender, etc) before inputting to the Krell? My intention at the moment is to continue using the DAC in the Krell. Not interested in Roon.

What would a music/network server add in my situation?

I know the real experiment would be to get a music server and let my ears tell me, but just trying to think this through right now.

zerofox

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I don’t think that there will be a gain in SQ by adding a server.  If you add a second system, then the server will be able to “serve” the files to that system as well, but if it’s one system only then you aren’t going anything
I believe the OP was asking specifically about his files stored on a HD.  The query wasn’t about streaming services.  So then the question becomes do files stored on a HD sound better if played back on a bog standard personal computer vs.a dedicated server/streamer.  This goes back to the issue of whether dedicated server/streamers sound better than computers.  In general, they do, but PCs can be optimized for audio playback using a relatively inexpensive program such as Audirvana Plus.