Is it still worth buying a Lumin x1 in 2023?

Hello,

i currently have a Lumin D2 in my system, and i want to upgrade (I know ... typical audiophile problem :-) ).

My system is the following:

Speakers: Spendor sp100r2

Amp: Grandionote Shinai

Streamer: Lumin D2

Power isolation: Puritan PSM 156

Why do i want to upgrade?

I want "more of everything": more clarity, more details, more extension on both ends, better vocals, less digital sounding ... I like music, i don't want something too analytical. I want to be able to seat, enjoy and relax.

I've considering adding a DAC to my D2, but a local dealer told me that i should change my streamer and get a T3.

Initially i had this list of DAC in mind (5k price range):

• T+A DAC 200 
  • Gen. Grand DSDac 1.0 Deluxe
  • Sould note D2
  • Aqua La Scala

Then, looking around, i found a great deal on a demo Lumin X1 ... a bit more than my budget ... but i can stretch.

Now my question: I read a lot of very positive review on the X1, but i'm a little nervous because it is a 5y old device ... and it will be a big investment, quesiton:

• is it wise to go for a 5y old device
  • How long will i be able to enjoy it before services stop working on it?
  • Is it it better to get a new DAC and connect it to my D2 (and eventually upgrade to a more modern streamer later)?
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Will i get a better sound with the x1 compared to the D2 + a modern DAC in the 5k price range?

What do you all think?

best

T

128x128thibaultgeoui

Showing 2 responses by bill_k

@garynospamm - Haven't heard anything elsewhere about a Lumin X2 release being imminent, would you mind sharing how you came upon that info? Or at least how certain you are about it? Very interested in further details as soon as they become available. Thanks very much for sharing the news here!

Lumin doesn't make hardware upgrades to their existing models, so when they come out with an upgrade to the X1 it would likely be an entirely new model. There has been no official announcement of a new flagship model but I also expect one to be coming in order to keep up with changes in the rest of their line.