Is it possible for a high end manufacturer to overprice their goods?

Having just read the interesting and hyperbole laden review by RH of the new Rockport Orion speakers in the latest issue of The Absolute Sound, one thing struck me..

is it possible in the high end for a manufacturer to overprice their product ( doesn’t have to be a speaker, but this example comes to mind)? I ask this, as the Orion is priced at $133k! Yes,a price that would probably make 99% of hobbyists squirm. Yet, the speaker now joins a number of competitors that are in the $100k realm. 
To that, this particular speaker stands just 50.3” tall and is just 14.3” wide…with one 13” woofer, one 7” midrange and a 1.25” beryllium dome ( which these days is nothing special at all…and could potentially lead to the nasties of beryllium bite).

The question is…given this speakers design and parts, which may or may not be SOTA, is it possible that this is just another overpriced product that will not sell, or is it like others, correctly priced for its target market? Thoughts…

128x128daveyf

Showing 2 responses by jayc123

I suppose I could purchase a pair of $133,000 speakers if I want to economize a lot elsewhere in our lifestyle... If my wife would let me, of course 😎. She needn't worry. It ain't going to happen. Our values and goals are aligned.

Once said, the comments made by Pope Francis and the criticism of materialistic values is a slippery slope. Consider a $133k or $3k pair of loudspeakers. If you get on his slope then you have to ask, "Why should we enjoy any stereo or hometheater system when there are poor people living in cardboard boxes?" We also would then have to ask, "Who's to decide how much we are allowed to spend, if anything, on loudspeakers?" 

Hopefully Pope Francis is not making the decision. Fancis sounds like he forgot the story of the woman honoring Jesus by pouring expensive perfume on Him. Some of the people in attendance criticized the woman because the perfume could have been sold and the money given to the poor. Jesus rebucked them for numerous reasons. And if I unpack this Gospel story, the economics major in me makes me see that there was a market for the perfume that honored Jesus. This means that somebody developed the perfume because they recognized the demand for expensive perfume. For the reasons cited in the Gospels, Jesus didn't have a problem being honored with expensive perfume. Implicitly, it would seem that Jesus didn't have a problem that there was an expensive perfume and a market for it.

This brings us back to $133k speakers. If there is a market for the attributes the speaker offers, the law of supply and demand dictates that there will be some quantity demanded, that can be zero, by those who have the means. On the supply side, any product is going to have R&D costs that are outside of direct labor and material costs. Then there is also the general and administrative costs (G&A) associated with a product as well as sales and marketing expenses. The R&D, G&A, and S&M can be quite high relative to the direct material and labor cost. The speakers will be priced at the level that maximizes profits.

Bottom line: If you look at only the material cost and direct labor part of a $133k pair of speakers, you will find the speakers over priced. If your look at the full context of a speaker's manufacturing costs, you might or might not find the speakers a fair value at market price. If your want to factor in some moral values about what people should be able to afford, all bets are off.

Hilde45,

In a word, yes. That is what freedom, free will, and free markets are all about. I'd ask you what we should be allowed to spend on speakers, but maybe we should keep the moral and political discussions on Twitter, not an audio hobbiest website.