Is it me or new audio gear is too perfect and give ear fatigue?

Since getting back into the hobby during covid I’ve really enjoyed listening to music vs. bluetooth low quality speakers.  Since listening to my Nautilus 803 speakers with old Yamaha Amps (MX1, MX1000) they’ve been sweet sounding and warm.

A lot of people have said the new equipment is near perfect chasing specs, sounding bright and causing ear fatigue.

Curious if people feel the same?

128x128webking185

Showing 2 responses by webking185

@ghdprentice , soundstage and imaging is what I prefer.  I guess the late 70s equipment and some 80s is what floats my boat.  I have not gotten lucky to probably hear all equipment, I just stuck with brands that I remember and like.  With the internet, I can read more about vintage and new gear, also check on Youtube to hear how it sounds (compressed down).  There is something about those Pioneers SX receivers that has that imaging that keeps me engage to listening to music.

@carlsbad , agree, certain DACS are better sounding.  I also picked up a Freya +  I'm happy using the Schiit DAC and the Yamaha CDS2100 CD DAC.  Always wanted a pair of Thiel's to try.  I lust as the catalogs when they use to show his models of speakers.

Again, not trying to offend anyone on new gear, I just feel the specs are near perfect in the tonality.

@pedroeb , as others pointed.  Price not a factor on good sounding gear. I've been listening to music and gear for over 30yrs. I've got new and vintage equipment as well as speakers too.  This is a question of analytics on new equipment being too perfect.