Is it important to long demo or own HIGH END gear to have a fair accurate view about it?

I have heard a lot of opinions about high end gear on the forums but a lot of it comes from folks that don’t own it. They bash it because of the price. Which I understand on one end but many don’t own, haven’t long demoed or even heard a lot of higher end gear thoughts? Please no personal bashing just your opinion? 

calvinj

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

Yes…. like the Japanese acknowledgment of hearing you…. 

nothing you said, convinces me of most….

Understand….but hopefully you also realize DAC or Preamp exotic capacitors take > 100 hours to break in…..many a LOT more…. sure they reveal glimpses of greatness or @#$&&&&… frequently BOTH in the same listening session….. so most is STILL an aspirational goal for me…..

@asvjerry I would say, knowing Brian as i do…it’s likely a hybrid  oat - wheatberry treble… His reference system is centered around Quad 57 and Croft tube gear… he is on my list of state of mind people to maintain a learning friendship with

@waytoomuchstuff You had me interested at wineglass, sold at Dog. Bless you too !

OP i appreciate your correction…. most creates doubt…. wondering how many tonearms you have heard ? …. while controlling the other variables……

unless of course the amplifier and speaker designer are one and same with a deep understanding of both the load and amplifiers to deal with it, tame as it might be. 

A unique high end state of mind is the ability to understand the trade off inherent in a particular design ( edge clamping distortion and energy storage / release are just 2 attributes of planers…there are more ), being able to relate those to measure and listen results and move the ball forward without being a my way or the highway blowhard …ah that’s a high end audiophile to know….. i seek them out….

Please note i own both planer and point source, oh and a former that approximate the latter ( RIP Peter )

When i hear someone claim to have heard “all “, the thing i know is that person is deluded….