Is it important to long demo or own HIGH END gear to have a fair accurate view about it?

I have heard a lot of opinions about high end gear on the forums but a lot of it comes from folks that don’t own it. They bash it because of the price. Which I understand on one end but many don’t own, haven’t long demoed or even heard a lot of higher end gear thoughts? Please no personal bashing just your opinion? 

calvinj

Showing 1 response by deep_333

"Long demo"...Hmm, depends on the type of gear (from the gross to the subtle), i suppose. Speakers and amps, I can fairly quickly say ’not for me, get it outta here". I won’t waste your time. DACs, for instance...especially if they are above a certain pricepoint and threshold for fidelity (i.e., things start to get a lot subtler), I may need to audit it for a couple of months. I’ll listen to a dac for a week, swap to the next for a week, swap back for a week, etc. Many a time, it is fairly difficult to even articulate why one appeals more to the taste buds than the other.

So...almighty dealers, do you mind loaning out demo dac units, for example, (’Hhhhhigh end’ n all) for 45 to 60 days at a time?? Would that work with your business model or would it frazzle your feathers a bit too much? If not, that’s ok, you can keep it. ;) How about that 'very very subtle' 20k speaker cable?? If not, that’s ok, you can keep it ;) ;)

You see boys...this is why it helps to network/have a friend circle of dudes who’ll loan you gear and vice versa. It is a "no pressure, audit at leisure" solution that helps you learn about what you like or not.

Manufacturer & other audio nerds in town = friend

Dealer = ________ (it’s complicated, fill in the blanks as you see fit)