Is Dynaudio forgiving speakers?

I would like to know is Dynaudio speakers forgiving? Pair with full blown DAC/power amp (colorless and transparent amp), will it sound engaging and musical enough? Neutral and colorless can be a bit thin sound to me, that's not my taste, I prefer a bit of warm, fun rhythm on bass kinda of sound. I'm considering a pair of Focus 110 or new DM 2/7?
128x128wim1983

Showing 12 responses by wim1983

@Xti16: After the Wharfedale Jade 3 experience, I realize I will not buy any "high end" claimed speakers without audition, but somehow I'm lucky to have a pairs of Wharfedale Denton, I love them so much, very musical speakers without any preamp help, just need clean power amp. Also in time I will eventually audition a pair of Dynaudio to find out how it handle music. Thanks for your suggestions, Sonus Faber way out of my budget, even their low end model, and Vienna Acoustics also out of reach, due to critical Malaysia Riggit money value. My country got brands like Dynaudio, ProAc, Sonus Faber, Dali, Focal, PSB, Acoustic Energy, ATC, Golden Ear, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, KEF, Harbeth, and Wharfedale to choose.
@Zd542: haha,I'm single and enjoy music very much xD. From your forgiving list, I may go for Monitor Audio Silver
@Mapman, @Taters, @Timrhu: It seem Dynaudio generally sound true to source, having said that for my taste it can be a bit lean, flat on frequency, but the Focus seem to be tuned to enjoy music better a lot. I heard the DM series is all rounder, thus can be too forgiving to listen to, my choice would be the Focus line, just have to audition a used pair with my DAC and power amp, then can grab it back to home :P. How big the difference between Focus 110 and Focus 160, better dynamic? I've read a lot of complaints on the unforgiving placement from the wall, this will not be a problem for me, I just concern on room size, mine is 10ft x 10ft, which woofer size go for?
@Callas01: Interesting, how to know it's old or new model? There's a used pair of Focus 110 for sale.
@Mapman: From your past opinions, I'm very tempting to try Dynaudio, indeed I should at least try once to listen to it properly, I did listen to a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52, but not long enough to decide to buy it, because those songs are good mastering recording, the owner was not convenient to let me audition more songs. Do you consider Dynaudio is the best speakers brand?
@Jwm: Planar speakers, hmm, any good model to look for? Brand? I get what you mean by quieter, that's what I feel on the Wharfedale Denton, I wouldn't say it's totally free of fatigue or resonance, but it does not cross the border line. The Wharfedale Jade 3, in contrast sound noisy to me, guess I'm not capable to driver it properly.
@Xti16, @Lowrider57: Oh my oh my, the active Focus XD, price is way beyond god affordable gold level, I'm doomed! anyway I'll try to audition a used pair of Focus 110, save me the time for the break in time troubles
Xti16: Not only Dynaudio build the best loudspeakers, the new owner kinda know how to "do" business, that's not an affordable amount for the new Focus XD, the lower end Emit should be more affordable
@Xti16: I think I will go for used set, hopefully it's the sound that I'm looking for :P
Just audition the Dynaudio Focus 110 using my own gears, wow I have to say I'm very impressed, the high is very sweet and full of energy and crushing, the mid clarity also is the best I've heard, my Denton sound a little bit muddy due to the mid bass bump, finally the bass distortion is almost not there, with very tight and accurate control, but found that track like Kitaro drum kick is not excited enough, well nothing big matter, while for dynamic these small little speakers sound like larger speakers I've ever imagined, I'm very surprised, it sound really wonderful overall. Most probably I'm going to get the 140 or 160 with larger woofer driver, I found that Dynaudio Focus 110 overall consider forgiving and musical speakers, no preamp needed, the cabinet and material used are rock solid, thought the cabinet can be better. I'll audition Wharfedale EVO Signature next Tuesday, if does not sound right to me, I'll sell back Jade 3 and get a pairs of Dynaudio Focus. Overall the Focus is very very nice to listen to, the rock & roll part seem to be the only weakness I've found, most probably due to the neutrality with light warm colour, though less emphasize on mid bass result in less excited for drum kick music. I've tested flute too, it sound wonderful. Low level listening like piano playing, though I cannot give 100% full mark, but manage to get high scores enough. Also I found that the sound stage is wider than I can heard from other speakers before.
@Mapman: haha thanks. The owner told me that Dynaudio crossover will cut off bass freq. that out of range, so I wonder is that because of that drum kicks cannot get full potential, a larger driver like model 160 can handle that, hmm?
@Mapman: Yes, I'm very surprising that Dynaudio performed so good, beyond what I expect, I dun think we should bother what amp class to be used, instead think how clean and effortless the power flow into Dynaudio speakers, and enjoy!