Is a Tube Amp Capable of High Current?

I need your help.

I have a pair of VERY inefficient speakers (Platinum Solos), but am also a big fan of tubes. I know that tubes can work with power-hungry speakers as I have done it with a pair of Magnepans...BUT...I'm not certain that it will work in this case.

The speakers are rated at 84db with a nominal impedence of 6 ohms.

I am purchasing an Audio Research D-125 which is rated at 115wpc.

I know that people always say that "tube watts" are more powerful than solid state watts, but I'm not really sure what that means. I also always hear people say that you need a "high current" amp. I've always taken this to refer to solid state, but can this be true of tube amps as well? Is the ARC D-125 high current?

I'm not a head-banger and certainly prefer quality over quantity when it comes to sound. Also, my room is not particularly huge, so that shouldn't be too big of a factor.

I need your advice. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Does a load like this inherently require solid state amplification?

Thanks!
dan53e1
That is an important difference. It is good to think in terms of % when dealing with impedance. It will probably work out.
Dan - I think you'll be OK. The speaker seems reasonably well behaved and the 4 ohm taps should do fine.

Enjoy.
I will recommend to try other taps & listen.I am currently driving ML Aerius i from the 8 O. on my ARC VT-100 with better result than the 4 O..The ASerius go down to -2 O. in the upper range!I also have a ss amp (odissey stratos) which is VERY powerful but the VT-100 is a way better for music & voices.Yves