Is a Tube Amp Capable of High Current?

I need your help.

I have a pair of VERY inefficient speakers (Platinum Solos), but am also a big fan of tubes. I know that tubes can work with power-hungry speakers as I have done it with a pair of Magnepans...BUT...I'm not certain that it will work in this case.

The speakers are rated at 84db with a nominal impedence of 6 ohms.

I am purchasing an Audio Research D-125 which is rated at 115wpc.

I know that people always say that "tube watts" are more powerful than solid state watts, but I'm not really sure what that means. I also always hear people say that you need a "high current" amp. I've always taken this to refer to solid state, but can this be true of tube amps as well? Is the ARC D-125 high current?

I'm not a head-banger and certainly prefer quality over quantity when it comes to sound. Also, my room is not particularly huge, so that shouldn't be too big of a factor.

I need your advice. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Does a load like this inherently require solid state amplification?

Thanks!
dan53e1
High Current amps are not "myth". The fact is that there are two good reasons for this so-called "myth" existing.

The first is the case of speakers that actually have low impedance dips and/or are simply low impedance. In such cases amps that are not designed to handle the higher current AT the power supply's voltage will have problems of several sorts. Including blowing up or blowing fuses.

The second case is where the current available from the power supply is insufficient to supply enough current to a low - Z load at peak output - and the rail sags in voltage. Often the rail sag can be significant. Old tube amps are notorious for this, as are "big" solid state receivers as well as all too many otherwise decently made solid state power amps.

As for tube amps, it is perfectly possible to design a tube amp to drive almost any load, low-Z or not. You simply have to have the proper output transformer to match the plates of the tubes. I know of one person who uses 2 x 211s in parallel for a SE amp that runs some ML CLSII speakers. It works just fine, not surprisingly.

In the case of a tube amp, one often finds "soft clipping" so that tube watts *seem* to be more since the advent of clipping can be excused by the ear much more easily than the often hard clipping of a bipolar transistor amp.

The issue of amp power vs speaker sensitivity is often more related to (as someone mentioned) your room size/listening distance, the sort of music you listen to and the level at which you listen to it. How absorptive your room is also plays a role in the perceived volume.

With that 100+ watt tube amp you should be able to listen to peaks up around 100dB with no strain - this implies an average "medium" listening level of about 88-90dB and source material that is not super dynamic (where the average level is >20 dB below the peaks...

Of course, try it and see what happens!
:- )
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and very insightful (if not, at times, a bit too technical - for me anyway) responses.

I should receive the amp late next week, if all goes well, and will report back on my experience. Upon reading through the literature on my speakers, I found that the impedence dips to 3ohms at its' lowest point, but typically operates in the 6ohm range. Connected to the 4ohm taps on the ARC amp, I would guess this should still be relatively safe...no?

My listening room is not very big but does have some HIGH ceilings. (The room is approximately 15' X 18' but the ceilings vault to about 20') I'll be anxious to see how it goes.

Thanks again all!

-Dan
That is an important difference. It is good to think in terms of % when dealing with impedance. It will probably work out.
Dan - I think you'll be OK. The speaker seems reasonably well behaved and the 4 ohm taps should do fine.

Enjoy.