Is a Chord Qutest Dac my best option

I am relatively new to digital music, as in streaming Tidal etc and from my Antipodes Server. I have high end Pure Audio gear with a preamp and 2 x 60w Class A monoblocks and Monitor Audio Gold 5G 300 Speakers. I was recommended to Qutest Dac as a good option (and all I need to spend for great sound) and wondered what you experienced music lovers would make of this. Your advice/thoughts on this would be appreciated.
128x128shamus2211

Showing 2 responses by shamus2211

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, I really appreciate it. I would point out though #Rego that at $10k for my pre and over 20k for my monoblocks, all connected with Kimber cables I have a system that has the slight warmth of tubes but the PRaT of a solid state and being fully class A it sounds superb playing CD or Vinyl. It has taken me many years to be able to afford a system of this ability and Pure Audio (designed by the guy who gave the world Perreaux and Plinius and has been involved in design with B&W) is one of New Zealands best kept secret. I only asked about the chord becuase it was recommended to me by a local hifi store that does not do free trials (what has gone wrong with the hifi industry?). My TT is a Well-Tempered Versalex with an Ortofon Cadenza Black. A very musical cartridge to say the least. I downsized from Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 (a superb British speaker) to the MA Golds and the sound difference in my smaller room was negligible. As for the Antipodes range of streamers and add-ons, these are very musical and well built devices and would be New Zealands second best kept secret. I have been to their factory and they take hifi and music very seriously indeed. There will be no reason for me to evaluate my system because of a $1700 DAC, chord or not.I am thankful for having Audiogon for advice, and for some rather odd and interesting topics. It is all good fun, just never take anyone too seriously with those unusual posts. Enjoy them for what they are or maybe. One exception is Kenjiit, I am still waiting on his Worlds best speakers. They will not be forthcoming!!
Hi Rego, you should not feel that I was having a go at you, I was merely pointing out that I doubted a Chord DAC would make me evaluate my system, it will be the Chord that stays or goes if I buy it. I apologise unreservedly if you felt I was taking the pi--! I was not. I have read a number of posts of yours and you always seem reasonable and fair. I do prefer your second post on my topic though, but only because a) we have hopefully cleared the air and b) you gave up two extra DACs to consider. That's a win/win Rego. Warm regards, Sean