Introducing Tubes?

Hello gang!
Well, It's been said of my system that "you could use some tubes in there". So, here is what I have: McCormack UDP-1/ Lexicon MC8/Krell FPB400cx. Tyler Linbrook Signature System (1piece speaker).
The system started as a home theater set up, which for family reasons, I should keep. The Questions:
How could i add tubes to the setup for 2 channel listening? Just add a tube cd player? Add a cdp AND a tube pre amp? (The Krell will do the amplification. ) Would that be enough to get the "tube sound" that has been so often described here on Agon? (I've never used tube gear). What would be a good sounding tube CDP for a rookie tube guy? (around $1000 new or used) Suggestions and/or advice is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks so much.
paul
oldpet
I second Jond's response as it has been my experience as well. A tubed pre-amp is easy and economical to maintain and generally speaking the heat/ventilation issues associated with a tubed pre-amp will be minimal. As an example a used conrad johnson PV10b can be had here for around $750. There are other choices as well if that doesn't meet your requirements. Your choices for a tubed CD player are limited especially in your price range.

Chuck
I think a tubed pre-amp is the best place start. But before you go there best ask yourself exactly what are you trying to get. All tube pre-amps don't sound the same. Some are warm and some are bright, most have a more liquid sound. Don't underestimate the effect that a good tube amp has on the sound of a system, but thats for another day (after you have tried a good tubed CDP). Upscale Audio advertises an Ah Joeb tubed CDP that cost less than $1000 that gets a lot of good comments. By the way, good speakers!
My question is, "do you like your system or do YOU feel there is something missing or otherwise not right with the way it reproduces music?? If the answer is yes, can you isolate the component responsible? Rather than just add stuff willy-nilly(I always wanted to write that) first find out if there is a problem, what the problem is and then try and identify the source. Components don't "add" anything. There is the information recorded on the source material such as a cd or an album. That information can be retrieved by your components but it can't be "added" to. The information that's there is the information that's there. The only thing tubes will do is add a type of distortion that I guess your listeners think would nicely counteract soem other type of distortion they are hearing and don't like.

Nick
Improbability, FWIW everything in the chain adds distortion to some extent! Some tubes can cover-up some of the distortion added by CD systems and other SS stuff! Take that!!!! And that!!!!! :-)
Ok. -
Bluebull Re: voltages and impedences. Do the numbers have to match? Or be in a certain 'range'?
Mtbrider - Thanks for the recommendations!
Jond - I do 99% of my 2 channel listening alone :-) So this is more for me. Tube sound is just a curiosity i've always had. HT is with the family which is why the HT stuff needs to stay. Didn't you mention the Syrah before?
Newbee - I would like to hear a detailed, liquid and airy sound but still with good bass.
Improbabilitydrive - No, i don't feel like anything is missing in my HT system but i'm always wondering what 2 channel playback would be like with tubes.

Any further recommendations on pre amps and cdp's. Looks like 1K isn't gonna do it. :-)

thanks
Paul