Integrated tube amp under $1000 / $2000

Recently a friend asked me which tube amp he could get used for $1000, I replied that maybe for $2000 he could get something decent but honestly I have no idea what to answer. As a matter of fact I told him for a 1000 he might better get SS than tubes. I have Atmasphere MA-1s myself. 
Can anyone provide some constructive advice of decent tube amps with acceptable quality for $1k (or up to $2k) to drive Klipsch speakers, trying to find out the exact model, I think he has Cornwalls.
Thank you in advance. 

Luis 
luisma31

Showing 1 response by iopscrl

$1000-$2000 is a good budget for exploring tube amplifiers.   Cayin, Rogue, Prima Luna all get rave reviews and are readily available both new and used.   I would also suggest Icon Audio.  This company is not well known in the US, but very well known and very well regarded in the UK and EU.

If you are patient and lucky, you may find a Line Magnetic integrated amp within your budget.

The used market provides a lot of options.  Several Audio Research and Conrad Johnson models should be easy to find.

Personally, I would look for a vintage tube amp.  Such and amp would be a GREAT match for Klipsch speakers, and unlike just about all of the above, a used but restored vintage amplifier will retain value, and may appreciate.  This can be crucial consideration if you want to buy-try-sell-repeat several times before finding an amp to live with.

Caveat is to be sure to purchase a carefully restored amplifier- from a reputable seller, and preferably with a warranty.

Fisher X202, or X1000   Scott 272 are both well regarded integrated amplifiers.

Fisher 500c or 800c are universally regarded as 2 of the finest receivers of the golden era.