Integrated Amp (Gryphon, T+A, etc) or DAC + Stereo Amp for B&W 802d3

Hi everyone,

First post here on Audiogon as I’m seeking advice to upgrade my current amps for B&W 802d3. The speakers have been driven by Devialet Expert Pro 440 CI over the last years and I can’t really say Devialet  is my cup of tea, although it’s extremely convenient. Appreciate if someone can share his/her experience.

The following amps are currently in my shortlist and I’m really close to pulling the trigger to one of the amps -

Streaming DAC (w or w/o preamp) + Integrated Amp: Gryphon Diablo 300, T+A PA 3100 HV, Accuphase E-800,
OR
Streaming DAC (w or w/o preamp) straight into Stereo/Power Amp: Gryphon Essence, Accuphase A-75, Luxman M-900u

All my listening sources are Digital (Roon + TIDAL, AirPlay, Apple TV, TV) so I’m leaning towards a good quality Streaming DAC + Stereo amp unless a pre-amp is really necessary to add ’colouration’ or some sort.

Any thoughts/advice?

Additional info:
1. I listen mostly to Jazz, vocals, classical (especially piano and violin). Music 75%, 25% films via Apple TV
2. I have T+A PA 3100 HV loaner/home audition at the minute. Great amp, very neutral, balanced, great bass control and impressive soundstage. But, I feel like it’s an ’upgraded’ version of Devialet...it’s a bit analytical and doesn’t have the warmth for midrange at least to my ears
3. I’m looking for an amp that a) great soundstage b) details c) control the 802D3 bass well d) warmer than Devialet or T+A (go for pure Class A perhaps?)

fan118

Showing 3 responses by cervantes77

Hi,

New here and would like to chime in.  :-)

The Diablo and T+A PA3100 are two of my favourite integrateds, in fact I own the T+A.  I ran it with the B&W 805D3 for a few months and the synergy was pretty fine though not spectacular in any particular way.  Certainly not overly  bright, dry, or analytical though, the amp is too naturally warm for that.  The T+A is actually known for it's liquidity and smoothness in the midrange and I would characterise it's overall sound signature as being at the other end of the spectrum from Devialet.  Full and solid soundstage, wonderful transparency, a gorgeously textured mid bass, and sweets singing highs.  And tons of unforced detail and dynamics.  Not everyones cup of tea but certainly impressive.  The Diablo 300 is an extraordinary music-making machine.  I must say I now run my T+A with my Wilson Sabrinas and I very much prefer that combination than the B&W.  Perhaps it's the speaker and it's interface with your room that is not jiving with you.   

Cheers - Jay
Congrats!  Gryphon certainly delivers the goods!

Did you find the Essence to sound significantly different than the Diablo? Or is it more about the control and grip over those woofers?  I only had an abbreviated audition of the Essence and didn't get a good feel for it.  
Did you get a chance to audition the new Dag Progression Integrated by any chance?  Got my eye on it.
Fan118,

Thanks for your reply.  I got to hear that Essence.

I really liked the Dag Progression pre and power that I auditioned and am awaiting the integrated version (they offer it with a dac too).  This is for an office-library system.

Aries Cerat - sounds great.  Another manufacturer I need to devote more time to.  But for this system I'm concentrating on an integrated, preferably with a built-in dac.  I did have an extended audition of the Ypsilon Phaeton last year and I must say it was simply outstanding.  Amongst the best integrateds I've heard.  It's a hybrid design.  Be sure to fill us in on how those Gryphon's sound in your home space once they're burned in.

Cheers, Jay