If you listen to anything other than Classic Jazz, don't read this.

:)  I'm a Jazz only intermediate audiophile looking to improve my system. i ONLY listen to jazz, and i think that matters. If you are of the opinion that great speakers make all music sound good then move on to the next post, because the premise here is that speakers for Acoustic Jazz ( Big Band to Post Bop) have different requirements. My jazz audiophile buddies and i hav A/B'd lots of different speaker/amp/turntable/cartridge combinations as a fun hobby for the last 3 years. i've gone through at least 3 whole systems to get where i am now:
All Rega System - Rega Exex-R, Rega P3, with upgrades, Rega MC Phono Pre,  Rega Apheta 2 Cartridge, Rega RX5 Speakers. 

It sounds really great, but want to get to amazing if possible, and have recently done some speaker comparisons with some Paradigms and Harbeths that show the RX5's could have a tighter, deeper bass and bit more high frequency... 

The challenge is threefold -
1 )information out there is hard to come by, often confusing and  i haven't found much information specifically on what speakers jazz heads prefer.
2) I want to be able to put them up against my current system in my room, which seems a difficult task
3) They have to look good. Aesthetics matter to me. Tektons and Magnapans are cool But Ugly AF, and not going to work for me.

i want someone to tell me this is the best my system is going to get and just enjoy it (which i do 82.5% of the time), or recommend a few things to try, hopefully with recommendation for speakers to try, but i'm open to other suggestions.

I look forward to your comments :)

sincerely,
Eric the Jazz Snob
128x128ericmbass

Showing 4 responses by br3098

douglas_schroeder said:
In reality a speaker is either good on all genres of music or it is not a good speaker.
atmasphere said: 
This is arguably the biggest myth about loudspeakers in particular- that they favor certain genres, the classic being JBL L100s are best at rock.
While I respect and admire both of these industry stalwarts, I disagree with their assertions. I do agree with atmasphere that no rational mind would purposely design a speaker to play only one type of music. But that does not mean that all speakers are equally good for all types of music.

I agree that if you listen to many types of music and you have some flexibility with your gear, many (most) speakers will work very well with all musical genres. But there are a lot of different speaker designs out there: full range vs. limited range, dynamic vs. planar/EL vs horns, unidirectional vs. bidirectional vs. polydirectional... I think you get the point. Not all speakers sound (as) good with different music to me and my ears.

Example: I love single driver monitors paired with small SET amps. This would not be my combo of choice for heavy metal or large orchestras. But for music that works in the 80 Hz-10 kHz (aka most music) they sound great. There is a special quality that I don't hear from other combinations. I love them for jazz music. But I don't find that they work well for "complex music" like large orchestral recordings and opera. Does this make them bad speakers or poor designs? You might say yes but I don't think so.

If there was a single speaker design, technology, size, manufacturer that was clearly best there would only be one speaker. In theory, of course. Then there are the contrarians, like me.

@atmasphere: 
If you have a means of designing a speaker to favor a certain genre of music, its likely that you also have derived a new branch of physics.
Ralph, I believe I agreed with you in my last post regarding speaker design.

I will simply say that I have not yet found the "perfect" speaker or one that is absolutely best with all types of music. I wish I could, it would save me a lot of time, money and aggravation.

@atmasphere I have not heard the Classic audio speakers in years and I couldn't describe their sound accurately now. I do remember them being very good horn speakers.

I have had some Sound Labs in for an extended period when I had my dealership. Good but I'm not really a planar/ELS speaker guy. Or rather, my room placement options are not friendly to these types of speakers.

For most of my listening I'm extremely happy with my rebuilt Shahinian Obelisks. The conventional wisdom is that they are difficult to drive. Not true - they are simply difficult to drive well in order to provide their best sound.

@baranyi Yes, that is true. It's especially challenging in that the boss asked me to reduce the amount of audio gear visible in the living room. She might as well have asked me to remove a leg. I can do it, but why???

Anyway, I found a great deal on a used BAT VK-300x hybrid integrated amp. 6922-driven preamp and SS amp. Sounds good, so far. The other option is to use a tube preamp to drive SS monoblocks via balanced output. I just need to hide the mono blocks behind the Obs and use some strategically placed houseplants.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming...